Author Topic: Times they are a 'changin  (Read 558 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Times they are a 'changin
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
I was just kinda' inventorying my powders, and I noticed I have several that still have price stickers for well under $10.00 a #.

That doesn't make me old does it? :D

The beauty is, so far all of these have produced good reloads.  Some are 30 years old!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Times they are a 'changin
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
Mech, I got some 4831 that were $3.95!-Muddy

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
After 10 years you are advised to "turn them over to authorities for proper disposal". Riiight! I have used up my 3.95 stuff but I still have some 9.95 stuff that works just fine. There is sporadic panic that is generated by various interests that drives up the price of supplies, not just normal market forces. If it was gas there would be a congressional committee investigating it.
     That being said,,,,,,,,, yeah.........we're old ??? :o It happens. One day you and your buds are talking about the chic's.....the next you are comparing colonoscopy stories. Old sucks, but not as much as the alternative, grass looks better from the top. Glad to be here griping about it. Let's do it again soon! ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
powder cans with price tags reading $6.95, and 9.95, powdery residue and dark copper on old bullets, brass that no longer shines, plastic hulls that have no metal on the exterior...Who'd a thunk, 20+ years ago, that these things would be the subject of nostalgia.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »
I've got powder I won't live long enough to load......I wonder what my grandkids'll think about 22 bucks a jug?  What's it gonna be 20 years from now?

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:58:02 AM »
Let's just hope the government will allow them to buy it twenty years from now.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 03:56:13 PM »
There are lots of things in our local agricultural "museum" that I used as a child and young man that no one 30 years old or younger even knows what it is or what it was used for. My first year at UMR- Un of Mo @ Rolla, every freshman had to take a class on how to use a slide rule. I went 2 1/2 years when the original oil embargo hit, had to get out and go to work at whatever I could find. Ten years later in '83 I was broke, married with kids, and decided to go back and finish to improve my chances. The slide rule was in the museum, there were not 2 dozen students of 5000 that could work one. In 20 years they may have electric rail guns, particle beam weapons......... or rocks :o who knows?
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
The first new furniture the wife and I bought was a dining set.  We were given a free set of china with it.  The china is long ago gone.   We were in an "antique" mall the other day, and they had our china for sale as an antique.   :'(

My grandkids think I've lost it when I show them a crosscut saw, or a double blade axe and tell them how we used to get wood...and how our bathroom was outside :D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
even the younger Amish stop and ask about my Scythe when they see me clearing the ditch by the road side.  This same ditch has sent three string trimmers to the junk pile in the past four years, but the Scythe just keeps clearing the weeds and brush.

I showed it to my nephew and he could not understand how it could be used at all, even with a demonstration.  I kinda feel sorry for those who are growing up with the everything is disposable nothing is worth repairing mind set.

How many tubes, and tuner boards have been put in tv's? radios?  Now if they quit working, ya throw 'em away.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA