Author Topic: 223 Handi with 65gr GameKings  (Read 612 times)

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
223 Handi with 65gr GameKings
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »
I think I've settled on the bullet and am thinking Varget, Benchmark, or CFE223 powder.  I am also thinking CCI sr primer (#400).  Brass will be from LC (Black Hills) that I keep from my current factory load inventory.  I'm looking for input before I buy as funds are limited and I won't be able to do a lot of experimenting.  Twist is 1:9.

And another question for the tumbler deficient reloader...how clean does the interior of the case need to be?  What is the best way to go about it inexpensively?
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 223 Handi with 65gr GameKings
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »
You can get the brass like new if you want in with an ultrasonic cleaner, inside and out, prolly not necessary, but sure looks nice!  ;) I don't use my vibratory cleaner any more, no more media dust in my lungs either!  ::)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,242292.msg1099388494.html#msg1099388494
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
I slosch my brass around in vinegar and salt for a few minutes, then wash like dishes with palmolive. gets the ash out of the inside.
65GK's with Varget and CCI 450 primers worked great in my 1:9 223 handi.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:42:50 AM »
So as long as the soot is out of the case, I'm good?  Maybe one of those shaker bottles and a powder solvent will work too then.  I'll have to try that method first.  $70 for the ultrasonic isn't quite the inexpensive I was looking for. 
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:34:44 AM »
No, it's not, but the homemade cleaning solutions listed in the 6mmBr link would be.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 04:43:49 AM »
Red, Get 2- 1 gallon jugs w/tops, in one put 1 tbs salt, 1/4 cup vinegar and a shot of dish detergent, put in your cases and fill 3/4 of the way w/hot water. Slosh around for a couple of minutes and let sit for 5 minutes, Then pour liquid into the other jug and rinse cases in hot water and then let dry. I remove the primers first as they dry quicker and it softens the scale in the primer pockets. This is an old NRA formula and other than the drying time (really not much more than the tumbler) just as good but cases not a shiny as tumbled. Also I always end up rinsing my tumbled ones to get the media dust off of them so why do it twice?-Muddy

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »
The inside does not need to be clean. The out side does not need to be clean. The primer pockets, do not need to be clean. You can get some die wear if the out side is gritty as it will abrade the die with the grit. You can get the grit off of them, by wiping the cases down. The dark staining will not hurt any thing. You need to lube the case for sizing, so if there is no grit, you will not do any damage to your dies.

Now that I have that out of the way....I clean primer pockets and I clean the outside of my cases. I would clean the inside If I could do it easily. I am thinking about a sonic cleaner, but I have got by without one for a long time, so how bad do I need one? Still thinking about it, still. I just like my cases to shine, inside and out, if possible.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »
I run mine through a vib cleaner, cleans em pretty well. As to the bullet you have chosen, I have been very happy with it. Sierra is one of the best. I use Varget and CCI 400 under those Sierra 65 gr Gamekings. They work very well out of my Rem 700 SPS. Its got a 1:12 twist and still shoots tiny groups when I do my part. Devestating on coyotes.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:55:42 AM »
Well, I guess I'm the odd man out. No, you don't have to worry about the inside of your brass (unless you have spiders living in them). And no, you don't have to have shiny/glossy/high polished brass. I reloaded for mebbe 12 years before I got a tumbler. I wiped each case, as I inspected it, with a rag lightly soaked with mineral spirits. The important thing is that there is no grit/sand/dirt on the brass that will imbed/scratch your sizing die. Unpolished brass will not wear out your dies faster, and if you just use your eyes, finding defects is no harder than with polished brass. Before my tumbler came, I was reloading .223 and 7.62x39 a lot, besides my handgun ammo. If I wanted "BBQ" ammo I would polish each case on a mandrel with 000 steel wool.
Some fellers talk about "Pride in Workmanship" and that's fine, but on a small budget and I was the only person to see my reloads, dull, unpolished brass worked fine...