Author Topic: Moly removal  (Read 404 times)

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Moly removal
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
Howdy, Anybody have a system ect. on how to remove Moly coating from bullets? I had some 224 75 gr molyed HP's that I washed in detergent and then tumbled for a couple of days and it came right off. I tried the same thing/time w/250 gr 338 Nosler partitions and it only took it off the edges. I'm about ready to put them in the lathe and give em' the fine steel wool treatment. As you can guess I don't like Molly'd bullets but sometimes you find them really cheap-Muddy

Offline soli

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Moly removal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
I had about 1000 I cleaned up did not get all the moly off,got about 95%.I soaked them in Dawn swished them a couple times do this 3to 4 times then dry and tumble,hope itwoks for you.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
Can't speak for bullets, but I have had success with removing moly from barrels with Kroil, and bronze brush.  May try soaking in Kroil and then tumbling.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »
Household ammonia will completely remove moly.  Soak the bullets in full strength ammonia for about 20 minutes and then wash a few in running water to check for a dull copper color. 

Continue soaking and rinsing every 5 minutes after the initial 20 minutes until the dull copper color appears.  When the dull copper color appears and after a thorough rinsing the moly has been removed.  The bullets are now ready for loading or tumbling if you want them to appear new without moly coating.

For some reason my wife prefers this to be done outside ;D

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:44:48 AM »
Saw-Thanks-Muddy