Author Topic: A Range report 500 and trailboss.  (Read 583 times)

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
  • Trade Count: (0)
A Range report 500 and trailboss.
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:08:50 PM »
It wa  worth the wait!
From 75m my best 2 round group of the morning was just over half inch.
Lee Minne bullet recovered range lead projectile 360gn
Trailboss 10gn.
Hogdon brass
Federal LR primers
OAL 2.
Only recovered 1 projectile.
Range

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
Re: A Range report 500 and trailboss.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
The recovered projectile with an unfired one for comparison.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
I haven't seen people use that bullet. Good for you on the groups! VERY satisfying finding s good loading and Trailboss makes for a pleasent shooting load too!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline RustyReel

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
Nice.  I have been putting together stuff to load and shoot the 500 as well.  Barrel, brass, dies, etc but no bullets.  I have been considering using that bullet or other Lee bullets designed for 50 cal muzzleloaders.   Nice to see that it works!!
22 Hornet -- 223 --  30/30 -- 44 Mag --  -  45/70  --  BC -- 500 S&W

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
I will have to look at that bullet also ;) . I have an established load already with a 440 gr Lee, but did not realize that Lee made a lighter one that would fit a 500! I will check it out immediately. Thanks.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
Been there and back. Read all the reviews, some stated that the bullet was a little oversized. I wonder what alloy they used. but most likely pure lead. I think that ww metal might shrink just a bit more. For a $20 bill, I am going to find out!I am thinking 10-12 gr of unique should do it also. :) If that works OK I might try one of the 45's also ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
I looked at the other mold as well, the "standard minnie" in 500, it looks exactly like a 148 gr 38 wadcutter HB. Which raises the question.... what if you shot them backward??? Talk about cutting a hole- or about expansion on game! Thanks for the post guys, I would not have looked in MZZL molds, I thought they were all 515 or bigger!

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »
I've heard of a few of the pistol shooters loading this bullet backwards and I recon it would be devestating on pigs.
I intend to find out as soon as I can.

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
Putting a micrometer over the round it seems to drop from the mold at .501 and does go through a sizing die with little resistance.
I did drop the bullets into a water bucket with soft cloth in the base as they came out of the mold, so even though they are recovered range lead that may have hardened them some what.

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
I have both a Lee 501 push through and a 500 RCBS lube/ sizer die. Since I would use them more for plinking or at least lower velocity, I might even drip lube em and see what they do,