Author Topic: opinions of sightron scopes  (Read 835 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
opinions of sightron scopes
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »
 i have been thinking i need to upgrade my scopes ..
give me your honest opinions of the sightron scopes ...
  im looking at the SI line

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: opinions of sightron scopes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »
As of last year sightron was still the supplier of lenses for leupold. They are descent scopes, just like leupold what makes them a good brand is their no fault warranty. Just like leupold you can find a brighter, clearer scope in the respective class, for less money. But then again a lot of scope companies aren't honoring their "lifetime" warranties any more. Leupold, vortex and sightron still do. For your budget I would look for a used SII or VXII on ebay or at a local gun show/shop. They should be about the same as a new SI if you shop around a bit. In return you get a lot brighter and clearer scope for your money. And you're not taking a gamble. If it's broken they will repair or send a new one.
Molon labe

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »
well thats an option i had not considered. i guess i was not aware that they would honor a warrenty of a second hand scope.
maybe i'll look around and see if i can find a used one.

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
I have SI, SII and SII Big Sky scopes and all are very good scopes when compared with other scopes at similar prices.  My only beef with Sightron is that they no longer offer low power scopes but then there are darn few of them available anyway.

I returned a used scope to them for repair about 2 years ago.  When I told them I was not the original purchaser they responded the same way Leupold did in the same situation.  They said something to the effect that they warrant scopes, not purchasers and the sooner I sent it to them the sooner they'd fix it and get it back to me.

FWIW, add Burris to the outfits with a "no BS" warranty.  A while back I let a rifle fall out of the rack in my truck while banging around in rough terrain.  By the time I spotted it the occular bell was stripped and wobbly.  When I called Burris and explained the situation they said to send it so they could fix, repair and return it quickly so I asked if they needed my credit card info then or after the repair.  They said the same things that Sightron and Burris had, "We warrant scopes...."

Lance

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:51:12 AM »
I had a SI scope 3x9 and after about a year or so and not too much use on it I had a problem.   I went to change the magnification and the cross hairs rotated with it.  I have no idea how that could happen but it was a long walk back to the cabin.  Lucky for me I brought a back up gun to the trip.   When I sent it back I just had them upgrade me and I paid the difference to the SII and I have been happy with that  one so far.  I have to say that it was a little odd that they didnt act too concerned that I was an unhappy customer and never even got a sorry from them or even scope covers with the extra cost of the upgrade.   From other reviews though it seems like a lot of other people had a good experience with the company. 

Offline azmike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »
I have an S1 3-9x mil dot on my 7mm. Are there better scopes out there?  Yes, but I have no complaints with the Sightron, and for the money I think you could do a lot worse.  It is a good product, and I would buy another.

That said, picking up a used SII is an excellent idea.