Author Topic: redding die set questions  (Read 249 times)

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
redding die set questions
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Ok got a set of redding dies for the .45-70 and the .308.  very different design than the lee and hornady dies i have used. mostly concerned with the seater dies. the black threaded stem adjusts the depth, but what part seats the bullet? am i missing something? the bullet does not fit this black stem thing very well seems like there should be another part? anyone using these please explain how this die works (pictures would be great) i tried looking for parts online but can't find a picture of what i think is needed. HELP. Mike.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: redding die set questions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:35:12 PM »
I can't say for the .45/70 dies, but my Redding .308 die set is a three die set. One die is a FL sizer, one is a neck sizer and the 3rd is the bullet seating/ crimping die. They work pretty much like any other die set, but doesn't have the floating sleeve seater like the Hornady has. After you get the dies set up ( you did read the instructions that came with the dies, right? ) back the black stem out some and adjust it to seat your bullet. Don't set your die up to get a heavy crimp at first, as you'll play hob getting a bullet to seat. If you are loading cast bullets, you'll need an additional flaring die from RCBS or an "M" die from Lyman to properly flair the case mouth to accept cast bullets without shaving lead from them.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!