Author Topic: Protecting finish after cleaning?  (Read 973 times)

Offline jspartin

• Trade Count: (0)
Protecting finish after cleaning?
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
Howdy folks, got a question for ya. What would the best product be for wiping the Handi down after I'm done cleaning it? I keep an old rag in my cleaning kit soaked with gun oil and always wipe the outer metal down before I put my guns back it the case to head home. I even give them one more wipe down before I put then in the gun case when I get home. However, the oil in my hands is very acidic. And after two times out with the Handi, I noticed the other day when my cousins were looking at it, that I could see my fingerprints in the barrel from 10 feet away! Now, I may not be religious about cleaning my guns, but I can't stand seeing fingerprints on a barrel. Makes me look like I don't care about my hardware, which is not the case at all. So, is there something I can use, besides the RemOil type products that would be a more permanent type of protection? Are the Handis lacking in a high quality blueing or is it just my clammy old hands? I know my sweat will eat through a watchband within three months, it's why I don't wear jewelry, but I can't stand to see my guns looking like this.

Thanks for any help.

Shawn
H&R Handi .223 24" Heavy Barrel

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading,"  Thomas Jefferson

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
Re: Protecting finish after cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:52:43 AM »
Shawn - try spraying a cloth or paper towel with WD-40 and wiping it down with that (keep it fairly wet - this approach gives you more control than just spraying it on) - you will need to spray the cloth each time since WD-40 has a waxy material dissolved in a volatile carrier that evaporates - it is intended as a waterproofing and rust preventative (not really a lubricant).  It can get pretty humid here in southeast Kansas, so we are used to fighting rust around here - WD-40 has worked pretty good for me. I'm not a big fan of Rem oil - I tend to use Break Free for a lubricant these days.

Dan

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:27:53 AM »

Silicone cloth works great for what you are wanting.  My firearms always get a wipe down with one before going in the safe, after a hunt (especially if its rainy or a heavy dew...), after handling.  You get the picture.  I used a silicone cloth to keep my assigned weapons clean and dust free in Iraq on multiple deployments and the silicone not only prevents rust but does not attract dust like oil.  You can find them for around $4-$5 at most sporting good stores, Wally World or the like and they last for a long time.

r/shvlhead.45

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:31:20 AM »
a few of us have found EESOX. Its a syn oil that is one of the best I have seen.

Give it a look and a try, I know you will like it.  http://www.eezox.com/

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jspartin

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 04:01:14 AM »
Thanks guys. The WD40, RemOil, 3-1 Oil, silicone wipes and other stuff like that is what I've always done. But for some reason, on this Handi, my fingerprints are getting etched into the bluing really fast. CW, I've heard of the EESOX, but haven't tried it. I'll see if I can find some and give it a try. Thanks.

Shawn
H&R Handi .223 24" Heavy Barrel

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading,"  Thomas Jefferson

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:56:00 AM »
One very nice product is Balistol, been around a long time and is good for way more than metal; a little pricey but it goes a long way.
My abbreviated version of Ed's Red is 2/3s odorless mineral spirits and 1/3 ATF and has worked very well.
Basic treatment of WD-40 has treated my stuff well here in humid Wisconsin but I have been using the first too long enough now to be able say they will do as well for you as WD-40 in this context. BTW, I also have somewhat the same issue as you (since I havent really tested for PH I dont know which side of the chemistry I fall into) but I have NO problems since wiping down with the above(s) if I do it every time after handling.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:00:47 AM »
Head to Wal-Mart and pick up a can of CLP and a silicone treated gun sock, you will be good to go.  Eezox tested the best with CLP close behind.  Before you order eezox, google eezox and smell.  Lots of people say it smells like a urinal puck.  CLP has no odor.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »
I have to say H&R does a poor job with blueing.  After a few years of use here in Alaska all my Handis look bad.  Especially after being dropped into a river or creek a few times, or tipping the 4-wheeler over in big mud holes with the gun usually on bottom.  So I CAMO them with Rustolium Textured Paint.  Waterproof, non-reflective, with a good gripping surface.  Makes the barrel feel like it has sand in the paint.  Not slippery even with blood on your hands.

That's another reason after cleaning a Moose or Caribou you will have blood on your hands.  handling a gun with bloody hands will kill the blueing.  Blood is very corrosive, and will eat through blueing in no time.  My summer guns are green or brown, my winter guns are white. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
Once Eezox dries after ~24hrs when applied as directed it has much less odor and doesn't attract dust, after using it for well over 20yrs, I love the smell since, reminds me it's doing its job, the fragrance is right up there with Hoppes IMO.  ;)

Tim

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
Sour, did you have to take the bluing off to get the paint to stick?  That sounds like what I need to do to my 45-70 Handy.  It wears an aperture sight, has the el cheapo black plastic stock and looks now like plastic trash and scrap iron.  It just shoots like it is worth a million bucks.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
Also, do you use primer before the textured paint?

thanks...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »
I did not use primer, Rustolium has a primer in it, and can be sprayed right over the blueing.  Just make sure all the oil is off.  You can do all the metal with several coats and still have paint left.  I kept the can for touch-up.

Don't know what happened to that picture, it shrunk.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
  On most of my guns I do like Sourdough and paint them. The textured paint is wonderful, adding gripping texture and cutting down on reflective surfaces. I use the sand-like texture on the metal and the large grit "Granite" texture on the stocks.
  On my BC I just couldn't bring myself to paint it. So, I use wax. Black Kiwi boot polish on the barrel, Johnson's paste wax on the stocks and action. Rub a thin coat on, let it dry, and buff it off. If I am taking it hunting and don't want any shine I just add another coat and don't buff it out. It's been years since I waxed that rifle and it has yet to show a hint of anything wrong.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
OSOK:  That's what I do, textured paint on the metal and Granit Accents Paint on the wood.  Originally I had done the scope as well, but that was three scopes back.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Singlebarrel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 06:18:07 AM »
Question about the paint.  Can you remove the barrel and paint the entire barrel or do you paint it with the barrel in the receiver?  I do not want to get paint on something that will alter the fit of the barrel to the receiver.  I am really interested in doing this and do not want to screw it up.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 06:23:19 AM »
See Lock Up Issue after Painting in the Painting and Refinishing section of the FAQs.

Tim

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 11:34:35 AM »
I have to say H&R does a poor job with blueing.
+1 on that.  'Thinnest' bluing I've ever experienced - talking barrels here. 

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
with c.w.l.s. here-

eezox is the best firearms protectant
i've ever used- i've tried a bunch
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 03:04:14 AM »
I take the barrel off and put masking tape over the curved surface of the lug.  I remove the scope base, as there sill be oil under it that can not be gotten out with removal of the base.  I also put masking tape over the rear surface of the barrel, where it meets the reciever.  I stuff a cotton ball up the barrel to prevent paint going up the barrel, then remove the cotton ball while paint is wet.  Paint don't last long on the end (crown) of the barrel anyway.  I remove the stock and mask off the interior, and the hammer and trigger to prevent paint from going inside to the internal workings.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Singlebarrel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:22 AM »
Thanks, Sourdough.  That is what I needed to know.  I will give that a try.