Author Topic: Largest over-size bullet that can be put in a sizer die?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline cpileri

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Largest over-size bullet that can be put in a sizer die?
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:13:02 AM »
Learned Sirs and Ma'ams,
What is the largest size cast bullet that can be put in a sizer die and re-sized?

here is what i am getting at:

Say i am a guy for whom the melting lead and casting is the issue (space, fumes, safe place to do so), but i can re-size more readily, and therefore
say i want a minimalist approach to casting, and therefore want to re-size for a variety of loads; and use "30"-cal as an example:  if i have a 308-bore diameter, should I get a 308 only mold?  or can i get say a .311 or .313 or even a .323 mold, and then get sizer dies of .313,.311, and .308 and "squish" the larger as-cast bullets down to a variety of smaller calibers?

Same idea with thr 45-calibers?  Can i buy a .459 mold, and then re-size in dies of .458, .454 and .452 for anything from 45-70 to 45ACP?

Or, alternatewly, are there any other recommended approaches to getting a variety of calibers with a minimum input on the casting side?

Many thanks!

C-

and that without them
we should have no knowledge of it at all."
~ Martin Luther

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Largest over-size bullet that can be put in a sizer die?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »
You'll want cast bullets to be .002 - .003" over groove depth diamter.  There are a few exceptions dealing with chamber neck clearence though.  For my .308 rifles .311 is my "go to" sizing for cast bullets.  If you .30, .31 and 8mm rifles then I suggest buying .311 for the .30s, .312 or .314 for the .31s and .325 for the 8mms.  The 314s can be sized down to .311 with a Lee push through sizer.  I do size .325s down to .314, .316 and .318 but the bullets must be fully lubed and GC'd to do it successfully. The bullet noses are still at 8mm size though and the rifle must have a long throat to use them. I only do this when absolutely necessary.

With 45-70 bullets you will find they are too heavy for use in the .45 ACP even if you sized them down.

All in all it is best to get a proper mould of the proper weight and proper design for the caliber in question, especially since you are limited in probable equipment and space to do otherwise successfully.

Larry Gibson

Offline Missionary5155

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Ex-treadhead 2wheeler Bible Believer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
Greetings
Have reduced .315 down to .311. If you are woking with pointy bullets you best have a very good fitting nose punch .  Better is to size them nose first using a flat punch on the base.  Push them into the die as far as possible then finish up with a proper size steel rod with exact square bases.  Be sure to catch the bullet as it exits Lyman type sizers.
For numerous years I reduced .430 down to .412.  Used to be a real effort to come up with heavy bullets for 41 Mag applications.  Soft mixes such as 30-1 up to 50/50 reduce well in two steps.  This entails opening a .410 sizer to .421.  But it was a solution I could come up with without spending BIG $īs for a custom 265+ grain mold. Biggest problem is the reduction of grease grooves. A simple solution is to tumble acceptable reduced bullets in Lee lube.
Mike in Peru

Looking for answers... try the Bible.  John 5:39

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
If you want to size bullets you want to use press mounted push through dies. Like the ones Lee makes. Otherwise you end up bending or otherwise damaging your bullets. If you use the right die, and the right lubrication, bullets can be sized down quite a bit. The most extreme example I have is my Vetterli, I cast a .446" bullet for it. Then I dip lube that and size it to .433" in one pass. Since the lube grooves are filled it doesn't collapse, just gets longer and skinnier. It can be done, if you have the right equipment.

Don't bother trying to reduce bullets much if at all in a regular lubrisizer. It will only lead to frustration. 
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline linoww

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »
I take the Lyman 8mm 245g 323378 and size it to .314 for my Mosins i first lube and apply GC in a .323 lubrasizer die.I then run it through a  .314.I finally run it in a .308 die  nose first so it will actually chamber in the rifles throat.its amazing how much longer it gets.This is with reclaimed lead at a BHN of 14-16.The lee push throughs work very well also.

Offline facetious

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
I have a LBT 170 lclfn that cast at .313 I size to .310 in a push though die for my .308. I also size it to .301 for paper patching.  Tip, get a die .001 smaller then you want and lap it up to size the you want. The one's I have got from Lee have been kind of ruff.  Once I lapped them and polished them with some Flitz I can size them down to .301 in one pass. I do give them a shot of dry lube first.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:57:57 AM »
I used to size down 461s to 452 all the time. Worked fine as long as the grease groves were deap enough to still hold enough lube.
blue lives matter

Offline Forsberg

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
Casting Lyman 457130 for 45 caliber rifle at .458" to .460". Could not resist the temptation to try them in 45ACP sized to .452". I use a Star with good lube and size in one pass. Works fine and they shoot very well.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
When I first starting casting almost 30 years ago, one of the first molds I had was an RCBS .44 silh. mold. Seemed kinda hard to run them thru the Saeco sizer I had, but, kept at it. After the 3rd. day, broke one of the bolts holding it to my bench, and bent the other. I miked the bullets, and they were coming out of the mold at .438. So I sent the mold back, and they replaced it. 'Course I was water dropping the bullets out of the mold, so they were kinda hard right from the start. Now I throw a few bullets and mike them first. Couple thousands over, and I'm happy. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Greg B.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 06:26:08 AM »
If it is the melting and casting that is the issue you might consider swagging using cut lead wire where there is no fumes, heat etc,

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
I've run 32-20 bullets through my .308 sizer with no problems.  Makes the perfect 30 Carbine bullet.

Alan