Author Topic: handi rifle conversion and topper 88 recoil  (Read 952 times)

Offline warbler

• Trade Count: (0)
handi rifle conversion and topper 88 recoil
« on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:59 AM »
i just got my new 20 ga  bull barrel ultra rifle slug fitted to my Handi rifle .280 SB-2 frame a few problems  first problem my lever break is loose it was tight .........when i sent the receiver to them!...... will this be an issue?....... i have a topper 88 an it is tight.... is there a spring messed up? what give's it tension to be tight..? it dose break open.

second problem i sent it in with a monty carlo stock black synthetic .....assumed they would send it back with synthetic forearm seems they do not make  a synthetic forearm to fit new thick bull barrel ultra 20 ga ....so i get it back it has been fitted with a wood forearm what ....? mean while i ordered the new handi rifle grip an forearm in black synthetic if i sand some material i may get it to fit it dose fit the topper 88 fine...has anyone custom fit the forearm to fit the ultra bull barrel? and how?

i called them and they are going to send a wood monty carlo stock to fit the new handi rifle shotgun conversion....time is
 ticking i want to shoot this gun an use it this year... if i can get it put all back together

i will be cutting back the barrel on my full choke 12 ga topper 88 an make a smooth bore slug gun 23"open cylinder an use one of the synthetic stocks IE. the monty carlo it has a weighted bar in it for the .280.....I hope it may take up some recoil in the  topper 88    23" smooth bore open cylinder slug gun ...... can i scope the topper 88 also anyone  done this..... is there enough material on the topper 88 1980 year model to drill an tap  eyes are not what they used to be....

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: handi rifle conversion and topper 88 recoil
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:11:26 AM »
You don't have a lot to drill and tap, and I certainly wouldn't try it on this model unless I felt very confident in my ability.  I had one I silver soldered a pictaninny (sp) mount on that stayed put, but of course this messed up the finish.  I then painted it satin black and it looked ok when I later traded it.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:12:30 AM »
Should have mentioned.  The slack in the release lever just means a different fit on the latch shelf, and a little slack is desireable.  As long as it doesn't pop open when shot, it's fine.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »
As mechanic said, you will have some slack.  Oddly it tightens up when opened and loose when closed.  Nature of the beast.  I've heard 12 Ga are a b**** to scope due to very little metal around the chamber.  Never has been a problem for me since all my shotguns are for shot.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:24:37 AM »
I have d/t a couple of Handi 12 ga barrels for the scope rail but these were used as the host barrel of a liner CF rifle barrel.  I had to drill completely through the chamber swell to tap these for the 6-48 screws that come with the Handi factory rail.  Having a perferated chamber swell on a liner barrel gun is no big deal to me but it could be a problem if you do that to a shotgun barrel.  I think at a minimum you would have the plastic part of the hull deforming into the hole and ejection might not happen.   

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline warbler

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
thanks for all the info gentlemen..it has been a great wealth of knowledge ....i did not cut the topper 88 barrel yet...i ordered the handi grip after market kit  and the forearm, it fits the topper 12 ga great.... but it will not fit the 20 ga ultra thick slug barrel it looks like a custom fit job is needed for the forearm, it is to narrow and they said they do not have a synthetic to fit..any one  know a way to fit the forearm with out melting it... i put the monty carlo synthetic with weighted rod in it for the .280 handi rifle and put on the topper 88 to take up some recoil i hope ! looks sweet...also have the original wood

also is there a barrel that fits any of these guns in the 45acp cal.?

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
easy there rickwest...,

One thing at a time.  The forearm: why not use wood and paint it with a self texturing paint (avail at auto parts stores in rattle cans).  Also bed this forearm to stabilize the wood to barrel contact. 

As to recoil you can still get recoil reducer inserts made for shotguns (mercury recoil reducers, but they no longer use mercury)  or you can use a pipe with lead shot inside. 

never seen nor heard of a .45 acp barrel for a handi

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
There's a couple 45ACP Handis here, both stubs(FAQs) or liners IIRC, I have the GBO 45ACP reamer, but there's never been a .451"-.452" H&R barrel made that would work without a rebore, the 45 Colt Carbine  chamber is bigger than 45ACP, so it's not a possibility.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline warbler

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »
 sorry for all the rushing question my mind works faster than i....well mr. keith i wood use wood no pun intended but its finished an i want to modify the 12 gauge handi grip synthetic and make a smurf an NEF into half breed Remi...for $180...i could router it rasp it sand it or whittle it with my 119 buck knife......i just wanted to know if any one has done it or is there an after market polycarbonate Lexan material is funny to work i know hey are composite blow molded....

as far as the 45 acp long barrel that's a nitch market too get into, maybe a winter project would be a nice for this gin receiver  low pressure round  center fire to build. i read where some one had a shorty 18" i  think......

thanks for the advice tho i just love pretty finished  hard wood!

{an idol mind is the play ground for the devil}

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
You can easily sand the syn forend channel to fit the barrel, used a sandpaper wrapped broom handle, I did one for a 20ga TDC which is a tad bigger than rifle barrels.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline warbler

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
super...that's a good idea! done... that will work.

was digging around an found a ole used freebie Bushnell sharp shooter 4x 32 in the bin... nice and clear still ...multi x low light scope optics where very good back 30 yrs ago imo, i compared it to my new nikon 223 big difference now little darker but still sharp,  had on an old 30-06 it will work in a pinch on this 20 ga ultra..this is a back up to my TC an winchester   i heard so much about this an a hornady poly tips its like CHRISTmas waiting ....to the range next week my 20 year old watched bambi this morning for an hours ......

thanks for all your help yea ole grey beards...i got scared off chopping that topper 88 12 ga ole guy said he did it once could not hit a 10 in group afterwards..... but bullets are a little different now days for some smooth bores.... every one shoots different..  i'm a  retired designer by trade if i can be of assistance let me know, just a novice learning something new every day! till i die!

{patience is a great virtue, the longer you wait the better it turns out!}

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
rick,

a good friend of mine built me a liner barrel 45ACP Handi.  It is finished out in the mid 18" range.  It is my backyard, subsonic whistle pig eliminator, but when loaded with a 45 Super round it has harvested an antelope.  It is a very worthy wintertime project.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline warbler

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »

BB,

very nice, lucky man to know such a friend indeed i used to know a friend that did custom stuff for me, but that was 20 years ago....i am looking over some sites with all kinds of inserts 20ga 12ga for  45 acp inserts ,not sure how to go about it, i will be doing a lot of research i would love to make a rolling block long rifle pretty or a nef/h&r bull barrel green with the idea right now.

rick