Author Topic: Signal Cannon - Is this decorative or a black powder signal?  (Read 646 times)

Offline dustintodd

• Trade Count: (0)
Signal Cannon - Is this decorative or a black powder signal?
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:20:11 AM »
I received this as a gift, it was purchased online without much additional info. Trying to figure out if was built to be fired. See pictures -> here <-. Any thoughts/perspectives on identifying or safety of firing this are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Dustin

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Signal Cannon - Is this decorative or a black powder signal?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:40:16 AM »
Hi Dustin,
Welcome to the board.
How wise of you to try to find out something about this barrel before firing it.
First of all, the barrel is mounted backward on the carriage stand.  It should point the other way.
It appears to have trunnions that are too small in diameter for the size of the barrel.
From the pictures, it is hard to tell if it has a vent hole.  Does it? 
Under no circumstances would I try to shoot it until I had further knowledge.  It resembles no gun I have ever seen.  I think the barrel as well as the carriage is a fantasy gun.
Others will chip in here.  Watch and heed what they say.  I could be wrong.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum Dustintodd,

Yes as Zulu stated the barrel is mounted backwards on a stylized naval carriage it appears the vent or touchhole is through the center of the casable, the trunnions are not only too small but have been bored into the tube sidewalls they do not have much support and it is doubtful are well attached have you dropped a rod down the bore to make sure it goes all the way to the bottom? the trunnion may be a solid rod put through the entire bore....... it's a nice display item I wouldn't try firing it....

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dustintodd

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:39:12 AM »
I just pulled it apart and found that the trunnions un-screw from the barrel. I suspect it was not built to fire. Thanks for confirming.

Close up of trunnion removed.

- Dustin

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »
It's possible that the entire breech cap also unscrews.  The vent hole through the cascable indicates it may be a firecracker cannon which has a removable breech.  Judging from the thickness of the muzzle, I would not fire anything from it.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »
Is this barrel brass plated?
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
The trunions are small, clearly too small for live loads.  They should be put in with some kind of thread locker.
Likely the breach unscrews to load firecrackers.  There a lot of neat little firecracker cannons & I see them advertized for sale from time to time.  From a simpler time when firecrackers and cap pistols were toys.