Author Topic: New BP signal cannon - Couple of Questions  (Read 525 times)

Offline dustintodd

• Trade Count: (0)
New BP signal cannon - Couple of Questions
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
Ok I stumbled across a BP cannon this weekend I just had to have. See link: http://imgur.com/a/5jqIl
Wondering a couple things:
1. While this carriage is beautiful it is way to large to be used aboard my boat. Pointers on designing a new carriage are appreciated.
2. Starting look around for BP options immediately ran into this Q of BP vs. Pyrodex. Pyrodex seems to have some advantages as it's easily purchased and a bit safer to store/handled(?). Love some opinions.
3. I think I need a kit of tools for using and maintaining this little guy. It's bore is 1" so was hoping I could buy some of the tools needed to load, clean, store, etc. Love some pointers on what to purchase.

Thank in advance.

- Dustin

Offline Artilleryman

Re: New BP signal cannon - Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:06 PM »
A couple of questions.  Does this cannon have a powder chamber?  Why is the vent so far forward?  What is type of metal is the barrel made of?   
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »
1.  A picture of your boat would help in giving suggestions for a better mount/carriage.  Check out this Strong Firearms page for some nautical mounts.

2.  Pyrodex doesn't perform well in cannons because you can't get the operating pressure high enough.  True black powder is the way to go.  As long as your house doesn't burn down, storage is not really a problem.

3.  Check with our sponsors for both a more appropriate cannon and accoutrements.  This cannon does not impress me for either safety or appearance.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
Ok I stumbled across a BP cannon this weekend I just had to have. See link: http://imgur.com/a/5jqIl
Wondering a couple things:
1. While this carriage is beautiful it is way to large to be used aboard my boat. Pointers on designing a new carriage are appreciated.

Carriage has pretty wood and that is it. If I had a boat, I wouldn't put it on my boat.  Carriage is too tall and may even be a bit unstable.  Those wooden humps for the trunnions are hideous.  Wheels are to small.  But it could be cleaned up and if it had a decent  barrel really wouldn't look bad. 

The barrel looks like a piece of tubing with a trailer hitch ball screwed in the end.   Absent some details about the barrels construction indicating other wise, the walls of the barrel do not appear to meet the basic safety rule of one caliber wall thickness. 

Sorry, I think you made a mistake buying this gun.

2. Starting look around for BP options immediately ran into this Q of BP vs. Pyrodex. Pyrodex seems to have some advantages as it's easily purchased and a bit safer to store/handled(?). Love some opinions.

Some say they can make POyrodex shoot...without a patch or wad.  I can't.  Those that have made it work seem to have used some very large charges.   Pyrodex is a corrosive powder.  Get Black powder. If you can't find it, Order it in.  Go to our cannon link list and scroll down to black powder suppliers and order direct.  You will note one company  has what seem to be higher prices than the others.  PowderInc.com list their prices including shipping and hazmat fees.  Other distributors just list the powder price.  Shipping and hazmat fee are added in upon completion of the order and the total per pound will be right around what PowderIncs prices are.

3. I think I need a kit of tools for using and maintaining this little guy. It's bore is 1" so was hoping I could buy some of the tools needed to load, clean, store, etc. Love some pointers on what to purchase.

Thank in advance.

- Dustin

Sorry  for the bad news.

Offline dustintodd

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »
The vent is forward because the internal bore seems to end right there at the depth of the vent. The "trailer hitch" as someone described it is in fact just solid. It all appears to be constructed from steel of some sort.

- Dustin