Author Topic: Newbie Needing a Little Help  (Read 855 times)

Offline TheMachinist

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie Needing a Little Help
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
So I decided to build a mini cannon to learn the basics of being a cannoneer and also because I dont posses the money to make or maintian anything larger at the moment. I am going to build the cannon out of 930 Naval Brass, the demensions will be as follows 2" over all length / OD .750" / .177" Bore an 1.500" deep making the wall thickness about .573" Okay so the questions I have are 1. What granulation of Goex powder would be best for this cannon? 2. Should I use a patch with the bb or just a wad? 3. What would be a safe load of black powder? Any design flaws or adjustsmtents I need make would be appreciated

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Newbie Needing a Little Help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »
It's hard to give any useful advice without a drawing, but it sounds OK so far.  What are you going to use for fuze?  Or ignition in general?

I would start with 5-10 grains of FFFFg powder for that small a bore.  No patch or wad.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »
Yup.  4Fg no patch needed.

Keep the fuse hole as SMALL in diameter as you can.  Use the smallest fuse too, obviously.

a 1" bbl length will put a BB (that's .177 not a bowling ball) into or through corregated cardboard and will seriously dent a soda can.  Your's should get higher velocity.  (You COULD put your eye out with that thing!)

WELCOME to the board!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:33:11 AM »
Buy 2 mm fuse from http://www.pyrodirect.com/  or http://www.pyrocreations.com/   I use 2 mm on my table top cannons, 1/8" on larger.   
Note:  Since I have linked you there I must add the caution:  I can not blanket recommend cannons or thunder mugs from these sources.  National Organizations which deal with cannon safety like the NSSA (North South Skirmish Association) require the chamber walls & breach thickness be equal to wall thickness...  made of steel or bronze.   You don't want to invest your hard earned dollars in a barrel of questional safety.  If nothing else it's a bad investment because knowledgeable buyers look for this.  You might find acceptable products there...  but be sure before you buy.
Equal time:  Site sponsers offer products which meet these requirements. 

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »
okay so I will post some drawings of what I have in mind when I get a chance. I have a Question is there anyway to make a bb cannon that will shoot thru a pop can or is that just not possible using black powder? and im using 1.5mm visco cannon fuse

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:01:20 AM »
If I lengthen the barell out with this incress the velocity and power of the cannon I have a 13" piece of naval brass to start from so the possibilites are endless

Offline freekforge

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
the longer the barrel the more velocity, power, and accuracy

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
good deal so maybe I will lengthen it out to 3 inches

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
If you are really trying for more power, you should make the barrels from steel instead of brass.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
If you are really trying for more power, you should make the barrels from steel instead of brass.
Why does steel allow for more more power? I work in a shop that does a lot of machine work so I have access to cold roll 4140 and 1018 if that would be the best way to go?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »
Steel is stronger than brass which allows heavier powder charges.  1018 is not as strong as 4140 but it is easily weldable.  Welding 4140 requires special procedures that are less convenient.  If you use screw in breech plugs, 4140 is the better material but 1018 is good; better than the original materials by far.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 04:49:24 AM »
Im gonna be.making all muzzle loading cannons for now so welding wouldn't be an issues and even if i was im a certified welded and have done a lot of welding on 4140... Do u think i need a powder chaamber for this cannon?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:27:11 AM »
There are only two time you need a undersize powder chamber.

1.  If the design you are replicating calls for a chamber.

2.  If you are building a cannon with a bore to large for the piece of material you are working with. In other words it is a fix for a bad design.

Do you have cannon design in mind that you are going to build.  It is always good to build your first couple of cannons to specific design so you understand how a cannon is built.   John Muller's a Treatise on Artillery is a good book to start with.  http://books.google.com/books/about/A_Treatise_of_Artillery.html?id=vylEAAAAYAAJ

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
Good no powder chamber then cause im starting with solid bar stock... And i d
on't have a specific design but i like the Rodman  style cannon with a barbette style cariage