Author Topic: How far do you go?  (Read 373 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How far do you go?
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:23:28 AM »
I just bought my first Leupold to mount on a rifle I have been building for too long and wondered. How many of you go the distance to mount scopes. Checking alignment, polishing blocks, torquing, etc.. I never have and have not had any problems. Am I just lucky? There has been a lot of them over the years.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: How far do you go?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:36:51 AM »
I torque screws and haven't yet done the polishing thing.  I did see a guy at the range with all the toys do the polishing of his rihgs and alignment.  Bragged and bragged about alignment and accuracy.  Sighted the gun in and the scope moved on the 1st shot...retorqued the screws and it moved on the 2nd...seems he went a bit overboard with the internal polishing and made the rings a bit oversized....Ah well......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: How far do you go?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:32 AM »
I've always gone all the way on aligning and lapping the rings to at least 90% contact with the scope tube.   I've owned a ton of hand cannons, and anything short of that is just asking for trouble at the most inopertune time, and damage to the scope.   My "torque wrench" is attacked to the end of my arm for screws, has so many years experience doing it that it is well calibrated for consistent even draw down.   Only time I used real torque wrenches was on the hot rods.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus