Author Topic: 225 gr acubond bullet in 350 rem mag  (Read 520 times)

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
225 gr acubond bullet in 350 rem mag
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
     I purchased a box of 225 acubond noslers for my 350 but was disapointed with the length not fitting properly in my magazine area of my model 7 Rem. I can get proper load fit by grinding the tip flat. I know this is a ballistic tip intended for arodynamics but the tip is going bye bye for shootability. The cartridge bullet seating depth is actually  2.800 (max) is in front of the taper of the bullet.  Measuring the tip length it is aproximately 1/8" by simply grinding these down flush or close to flush it will give me proper bullet placement for crimp on straight area of bullet. I will hold the weight of the bullets the same by weighting each as I bring down the overall length on a hand grinder. I'm a tool and die maker by trade so this is not really a complicated procedure for me at all.  I'm posting this for other 350 shooters to know that this bullet is to long for short action riflles. I have 200 gr acubond bullets comeing soon but in the mean time I'm going to play with the 225's.
     Any other reloaders had to do this before? I've been reloading for 30 years or better and have had to tweek bullets once or twice but this one really iritated me for the price tag on these and then not fitting properly. Was just curious if bullet would still expand properly since the tip is not full size anymore? Just for facts 225 gr accubond for a 35 caliber length is 1.375" For the 200 gr acubond length it's 1.213". Overall lenth difference is .162 that is alot of length for 25 grains of bullet length.

woods

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
Re: 225 gr acubond bullet in 350 rem mag
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
Woods, Don't worry about the flat pt. It's the ogive that makes them shoot flat. I typically file the noses of Nosler's PT's off flat to #1 make them not smash when handling/shooting in the magazine and #2 to make them fit the necks better as far as COAL goes. I have filed/cut off A-max'es, JLK's ect to make them fit magazine lengths in various rifles (one of the reasons I  like single shots, cause I don't have to) and have never seen any shoot any less flat'er at anything out to 300 yds. I would think that the Acubonds would be just fine as well as possibly promote expansion a little w/the flat pts. I am a big fan of the Nosler partition protected points for the above reasons. What I do is put my 1/2 " drill in my bench vise and put the bullet in the chuck hand tight and have it turn towards me then use a mill bastard file to shorten/flat the nose to desired length (usually about a 1/16" above the jacket) and that'a all ( I know it's a farmer style lathe, but!). I'm sure I'm not letting out any secrets but I have used it on most anything from .243 through .375 bullets to get longer ctg. lengths in magazines-Muddy   

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »
I've read a few posts on other sites where 350 mag owners had custom Lee factory crimp dies made for the 225gr Accubonds. Lee made my die for about $50. You ship them a dummy round and Lee makes the die. For the 350 mag it's the only way to get a factory crimp die as they're not a standard item. I don't load the Accubond bullets.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »
     I purchased a box of 225 acubond noslers for my 350 but was disapointed with the length not fitting properly in my magazine area of my model 7 Rem. I can get proper load fit by grinding the tip flat. I know this is a ballistic tip intended for arodynamics but the tip is going bye bye for shootability. The cartridge bullet seating depth is actually  2.800 (max) is in front of the taper of the bullet.  Measuring the tip length it is aproximately 1/8" by simply grinding these down flush or close to flush it will give me proper bullet placement for crimp on straight area of bullet. I will hold the weight of the bullets the same by weighting each as I bring down the overall length on a hand grinder. I'm a tool and die maker by trade so this is not really a complicated procedure for me at all.  I'm posting this for other 350 shooters to know that this bullet is to long for short action riflles. I have 200 gr acubond bullets comeing soon but in the mean time I'm going to play with the 225's.
     Any other reloaders had to do this before? I've been reloading for 30 years or better and have had to tweek bullets once or twice but this one really iritated me for the price tag on these and then not fitting properly. Was just curious if bullet would still expand properly since the tip is not full size anymore? Just for facts 225 gr accubond for a 35 caliber length is 1.375" For the 200 gr acubond length it's 1.213". Overall lenth difference is .162 that is alot of length for 25 grains of bullet length.

woods

Woods,

Nosler reloading manual #6 gives a warning about not using the 225gr Accubond for the 350 Rem Mag due to bullet design in a short action.  they recommend using the 225gr Partition and their loading data is for that bullet.

Before the225gr Accubond they gave a warning in Manual #5 about not  using 225gr BT plus warning #4 Manual about the short action and OAL 2.800".

Speer manual also mention short action and problems with seating depth, case capacity etc for the 350 Rem Mag.

I shoot the 225gr Accubond in a 35 Whelen AI and I had it long throated vs throating for those shorter 35cal bullets.  the 35cal 225gr TSX is 1.310" long.

I shoot the Accubond in other calibers and it is a long bullet and I guess they figure anyone buying their bullets would load to their manual.

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
     Ok I worked all the bugs out this weekend with the 200gr acubond bullet. First I flat the tip flush wiht the jacket then load the bullet to the proper overall length. The bullet seems to weigh about .5 grains less with the tip removed. I chose H-380 for the powder after checking on the chamber preasure of all the availabe loads it had the lowest preasure holding under 48,000 psi with a 95% density. Worked my way up the scale from 59,60,61 and 62 which is still two grains below max and found it was exceptional acurate.  Shot a four shot group with three in a tight cloverleaf then one just outside the others even with all four shots group was 1", no preasure signs on the case so I believe I've found my load. Going to give it a longer range test in November 250 yrds is what I'm looking at for as my own personal limit for a confident shot.
     Thanks for the input on my ideas to all who responded.

woods