Author Topic: 45 grain hornet bullet  (Read 497 times)

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
45 grain hornet bullet
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »
how many of you guys have tried the 224 hornet  Spitzer in your handy 223 my shorty really shoots them good.? ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 45 grain hornet bullet
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »
I shoot them and the 35g Hornadys in my Hornet H&R. They shoot very well!

(Remember, they are designed for hornet/Bee velocities)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:02:52 AM »
Being old skool, my favorite 22 Hornet bullets are the Winchester 46gr OPE's.   Have owned a lot of Hornet firearms, never had one that didn't like them.  Second choice, the 33gr V-Max that was orignally made for Remington 22MAG ammo that didn't fly.    Sold bulk by Hornady about 13-14 years ago - I bought 10K if I remember.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »
Ladobe,

I was just at Cabelsa last night and saw those Rem 22 mag 33g green tips!! It was not so long ago Remington did not even offer a 22mag!!!

I wasn't aware these where offered for reloaders! I like the 35 G Hornady and lil gun load. How do these bullets compare?

BTW roger that on the 46g HP bullets!!! I have some of those too they do shoot well!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
Every gun is a thing onto itself. Two of the very same model and year of manufacture can like different loads. Some times guns with the same case design have a tendency to like the same things. You just do not know until you try it. You have found that the 45 grain bullet can shoot well in your 223. I like a 34 grain MidSouth bullet for my Hornet guns, but they do not even list it for 223 guns, they are just too light. You would need to develop your own loads with them. Winchester 45 or 46 HP grain White box has a good reputation of shooting well in Handi 223's, so why not your 45 grain bullet?

My 22K Hornet seems to shoot Lil'Gun decently, but my Model 40 22 Hornet does not shoot Lil'Gun with out separating cases, wild swings with pressure, loose primer pockets, sticky cases, all signs of very high pressure with a powder that you can not get enough powder into to cause high pressure? I have a Handi 22K Hornet (heavy stubbed Douglas barrel) and a Savage Model 40 (22 Hornet). I have had excellent results with 34 grain HP Varmint Nightmare sold by MidSouth. Along with CCI 500 (small pistol primers) and light loads of W296. Not only are they accurate with this bullet they get high velocity and the cost is relatively low. My 22K hornet has a 20" barrel and gets 3150 fps with this load. Like I said it is a light load, so the cases do not stretch that much, even with the 22 Hornet.

Here is two groups shot with the 34 grain MidSouth bullets and my 22K Hornet at 100 yards.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 05:35:18 AM »
CW,

The contract fell through all those years ago when Remy asked Horny to make the bullets for a new 22MAG for them.   No idea why, but Horny made a butt load of them and Remy backed out.    So they wholesaled them off bulk.   Nothing wrong with them, they were first class.   Much different ogive than the 35gr V's they came out with later though.   The 33's I call my "ball" bullets.    Really close to just being a ball with a flat base and short point.   But my Hornets and Fireballs loved them.   I finally drove them fast enough in a 22-250 with a compressed load to get a bang-puff (just to see if I could do it).   ;)
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 05:53:56 AM »
Ladobe,
 I seem to remember something conserning this now, maybe we spoke on this before... I have a box or three of Rem green tips and I'm almost certain they are 33g. I'll look later.

Lloyd,
Spot on brother, every gun is different to be sure!!

I wonder if those 34g pills are same as the ones used in Win 34g 22Mag ammo form ten or so years back?  I still have some of them I bought a couple 250 end packs. They where the single loading that shot well from my 77/22M Ruger Varmint.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
the only thang i'll put through my many hornet shooters.....
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
how many of you guys have tried the 224 hornet  Spitzer in your handy 223 my shorty really shoots them good.? ;D
Mine does as well. ;D
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
I had the H&R 22H and used them, typical was 3/10ths" 5 shot groups at 50yd.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
CW,
This is a Hornet comparison picture I took months before the 17HMR ammo was first released for sale.   Was taken to compare the pre release 17HMR ammo sent to me to test on small game for Hornady in my prototype carbine.    Includes a 22 Hornet with one of those 33gr V-Max bullets and a 17 Ackley Hornet for comparison.   I set the 33gr longer than I normally would and crimped to get at least somewhat closer to the rifling to reduce jump.  Even so very consistent and accurate surprisingly maybe with the longer jump.   
I still have some 33's, but don 't have any 35's (never ever used them) or I'd take a comparison picture.  Anyway, maybe this will give you more of an idea to compare to the later Remy 22MAG ammo you have.   

Horny and Remy must have patched up that first failed project if they are about the same in current ammo.  It would not be the bullets they made way back when... even though I bought so many up front, a few months later I wanted more and they were all gone.
Larry