Author Topic: Inexpensive, Functional Tompion  (Read 700 times)

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
Inexpensive, Functional Tompion
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »
All of my "noise makers" are mainly stainless and range from one with 1/2" bores to 1" bores and finally golf ball bores.  All of my stainless pieces fit into a large fire safe (the kind you'd put important papers into).  Beyond that I have two pieces that won't fit anywhere except on display.  One is a large golf ball cannon and steel carriage, the other is a huge golf ball bored Thunder Mug that's 10" in diameter at its largest and over a foot tall.  It was for these last two I was looking for a Tompion to keep the bugs out.

While shopping one day a Lowe's I came across a rubber stopper that looked just about right.  It fit into the bore but if you gave it a good pounding it would sink into the bore, so....  I picked up a couple of 5/16ths bolts and same for two different diameter fender washers.  I then found two threaded knobs with the same thread.  So the bolt goes through the smaller washer into the stopper at the small end and comes out the stopper through the larger fender washer and finally into the threaded knob.  It's a simple matter of putting the Tompion into the bore and giving a couple of cranks on the knob to tighten it up and lock it into place.  Works like a champ.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline Artilleryman

Re: Inexpensive, Functional Tompion
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 04:26:47 AM »
Good idea.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »
5 and all those letters of the alphabet, I like your Idea. I live in a very humid area next to the Ocean and have experienced some rusting in the Steel barrels I have. Have been wiping the interiors with oil but it dries out and needs to be redone. I will check out the Home accessories dept at the hardware store and that should fix the problem.  Thanks Dennis

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »
Since I have to store my cannons in the basement I have kept the bore rust free by using Thompson Center Bore Butter.  As for tompions I have used boat bilge plugs for the one inch bore cannons.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »
Sounds like an expansion freeze plug with a drawer pull instead of a hex nut.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR3/10232/N0290.oap?ck=Search_N0290_-1_-1&pt=N0290&ppt=C0142
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline skratch

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
A very good idea!  :)  I was going to turn one out of walnut but was concerned about it possibly swelling. My tube is 2" so should be able to find something close.

Thanks for the idea!

John,,,

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »
Sounds like an expansion freeze plug with a drawer pull instead of a hex nut.

You're probably right, I just dug in the drawer that had threaded knobs and the one's I got looked like T's in profile with a threaded insert in the bottom portion of the T.  I was actually just looking for a handle on the rubber stopper, but then realized that with a few cranks of the threaded knob it made the stopper swell and lock into the edge of the bore for an air tight/or near air tight seal and I thought that I'd spread my findings.  Thanks for the complements and I hope you all have equal success with your attempts.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline skratch

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
I told a friend of mine, Who is " Mopper" on the cannon crew about this idea. He found a freeze plug that fits the bore, 2",  that has a through bolt that expands a rubber plug. We replaced the hex tightening  nut with a spanner type threaded handle, painted the metal black and have a tampion that's dust and water tight, 3/4 turn of the handle and it's secured for storage and transport.  :)

Thanks for the idea Smithy!

John,,,,

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »
first off is one is worried about swelling cut and + in the inserted piece this allows for  exspantion
but i likethe rubber stop idea