Author Topic: Ridge in Throat of Barrel--Seeking Handi Guru Input  (Read 1212 times)

Offline bucmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ridge in Throat of Barrel--Seeking Handi Guru Input
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:47 AM »
Guys,

I am putting two views of the same photo looking inside the chamber area of my 35 Remington barrel, one with my crude labeling on the areas of the chamber and one clean.  Trying to figure out what the ridge at the front of the throat area (marked in red) of the tapered rifling might be.  Not sure if this is what is called the leade area or what.  My first Handi and I have not had this kind of view on barrels of other rifles.
What does this look like to you.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
Re: Ridge in Throat of Barrel--Seeking Handi Guru Input
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:37:39 AM »
As best as I can see it looks like the lead area of the throat of the chamber. This is where the ogive of the bullet enters the chamber. They have had a chip walk with the reamer when it was reamed making the ring.  26-t

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:08:24 AM »
That explanation makes the most sense.  Wonder if it will disappear with some shooting or if this might be the idea situation to use some of the JB paste I have read about to polish the area. 

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
It aint gonna 'polish' out; its messed up, I'm afraid. Another cartridge reamer for something longer might reach that far (but you would want to research those options closely).
It may shoot jacketed decently, but I wouldnt want it for lead bullets;....and it will never heal itself.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
If it was mine it would be going back to H&R for a barrel replacement under warranty.
 Give them a call and request a call tag for the freight .
Good Luck
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:32:37 PM »
If it was mine it would be going back to H&R for a barrel replacement under warranty.
 Give them a call and request a call tag for the freight .
Good Luck
George

very wise information...................... ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »
yup

defect

how far in is it past the spot where the mouth of the cartridge would sit?

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Planning on giving them a call tomorrow.  Pity this was not recognized by me and included in the process when the gun went in for the trigger job a little over 3 weeks ago.  Sure hope they don't change the trigger back while it is in the shop because it is right where I prefer, crisp and light. 

On Edit:  The thought has occurred that it might be a good idea to drop a scope on the gun, puts some rounds down range and see if I can get a feel for the inherent accuracy of the barrel.  Since I will not be shooting cast bullets if it happens to shoot the jacketed rounds well I feel I can live with that.   The barrel fit and lockup is so tight I can't see light through the joint and I would worry a replacement barrel might not end up as well fitted.  Another thing I wonder about barrel availability due to them not offering the 35Rem in the extra barrel program.  Would they have a barrel to replace this one?  To send it in is going to mess up my early primitive season with a metallic cartridge gun but my muzzle loader still works fine and will get me through. 

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:50 AM »
I would shoot it before sending it back.

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »
That is the plan at this time.  Mount a scope, do some shooting, see where the baseline is at this point.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
That is the plan at this time.  Mount a scope, do some shooting, see where the baseline is at this point.

shoot'n see what ya got for accuracy......i gotta  Mauser 98 7X57 Mannlicher Carbine from tha dark ages... ::)  that tha chamber & throat looks PITTYFUL....... :o     but i'll tellya, it will shur nuff shoot lites out many modern day replicas and other homebrewed, or factory gizmo's................ ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »
Looks like another shining example of H&R's failing quality control. Par for the course unfortunately. :-\

Spanky

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
Looks like another shining example of H&R's failing quality control. Par for the course unfortunately. :-\

Spanky

And still they have the Kahunas to charge what they do (I paid $300) for this slip shod job.  Speaking of the actual job, I hate to be knocking on individual workers, but in my mind this goes to the personal caring and craftsmanship of the particular worker operating the lathe that cut this particular chamber, that is unless the chambers are cut by a robot.  Yes, ultimately we can blame Quality Control for the barrel making it out the door, but then IF the job had been DONE RIGHT to start with it would not fall on QC to throw it into the bin to, I guess be re-cut into a 35 Whelen barrel.  So much gets blamed on QC which is a safety net between the public and the company while it seems the real culprit that actually made the part gets a pass even though that is who did the job.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
You're right about that... it shouldn't be up to QC to catch everything. If the workers were putting more pride and craftsmanship into their work things wouldn't be the way they are.

Spanky

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 05:10:52 AM »
Ok I do not know much about machining and chambering. Would the .357 max reamer with the 6 degree blah blah taper reach in and clean out that ridge without messing up the chamber due to the top of the reamer floating without support?  I know little about it but know the reamer centers in the bore and cuts that throat and lead area first before the actual chamber.  I know first choice would be the factory fix but if you were going to lose the barrel I would look into dimentions and see if that could do any good. I am not saying just do it..... just hinting it could be looked into as an option   Good luck  thejanitor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 05:57:51 AM »
I dunno if the Maxi reamer would work, but 4D has a 35 cal throating reamer that will work, I used it on my 35 Rem Handi which started life as a 357 Mag and then was rechambered to 357 Maxi by the previous owner.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 06:30:26 AM »
The damage looks too far up the rifling to me for that easy a solution. I would have to carefully determine just where it is and then look to chamber dimensions for options.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »
Have you shot that puppy yet?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
CW, 

No, have not had a chance still need to pick up a set of ring anyway.  Spent the day getting foodplots done, got a bit of a late start then with loading equipment, then had a couple of obligatory equipment issues that slowed us (81 y.o. FIL and myself) down a bit.  He left just before 7 headed home and I did not pull out of the gate till 11:45 PM, got to the house 12:10 AM, long day supposed to rain tomorrow evening and Sat so here's hoping.  I can shoot here at my house so it is just a matter of getting my butt in gear. 

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
Guys,

This is not precise, but it looks to be somewhere between 2.60"-2.70" deep into the barrel.  Will try to figure out how to get more accurate.  As far as how to overcome the problem with a new chamber it looks like going to a Whelen would give the best odds of getting stretched out that far.  Even then unless the neck cut reaches out to the damaged area, which I think is actually a gouge then throating for a cartridge that's neck stops short of the damaged area will not fill in the cut in the grooves though it would likely take it out of the lands.  Hope that makes sense.   

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 08:30:02 PM »
I looked again...

and  have a question

is that a Groove, or an elevated ridge?

have you taken a 90deg scribe and "FELT" it???

I have a hard time understanding how that ridge would stay there during the rifling process....  These ARE button rifled, No?

if a ridge, firelapping with jacketed bullets embedded with grit would soon have that out, I'd think

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
just for chits and giggles
and if you want to spend a bit of cash....

I'd look into a 358/280RemAI...    that would give you near 375HH capability, certainly it would equal the 9.3x62... 

and still give you the ability to shoot low cost 357 pistol bullets or cast for cheap plinking

Loaded UP or Down...  would make an incredible round....

and I'd be interested in the reamer after you are done with it

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:12 AM »
I did probe around in there with a brass cleaning jag that has crisp edges the head of it looks like a "Christmas tree" so I was able to feel the distinct bump or dip.  Unfortunately, I don't have a bore scope to know for sure. 

One of the reasons for getting this particular gun is that I don't want a "heavy" 35 caliber round.  Yes, I know it can be downloaded to most any velocity I want.  Additionally, I have gotten hooked on converting this gun to a rimmed 356 Winchester which is the main reason I am just going to shoot it as a 35 Rem to see if this issue affects accuracy.  I am also considering fire lapping the barrel at some point as I have long believed this makes sense, I know others have diametrically opposed thoughts on the process, but I would consider it at point even if this barrel was not scarred inside.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 04:04:08 AM »
I still think your best option is to shoot it and see if it is OK with jacketed for this season (only because you are in the crunch time), then, for sure and for certain, ain't no doubt have H&R pick it up on their nickel, fix or replace and get back what you expected and paid for. If you have any inspection tags with that original packaging make sure that gets back to them too (Id tape it to a big brightly colored piece of paper with Magic Marker, 'HEY, LOOK AT THIS').
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 04:22:58 AM »
Looks like an over-sized reamer pilot and/or under-sized bore caused that.   Possibly a bent fixed reamer pilot.

I personally would shoot it to see if sending it back is necessary.   Not all bore abnormalities cause problems.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 04:27:23 AM »
But....But, but,
That barrel being 'passed on', during or after your lifetime will become an issue if it isnt made right.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »
Whether it shoots good or not it ain't right. It never should have left the factory like that and if it were mine it'd already be on it's way back. ;)

Spanky