Author Topic: Cryogenic accuracy treatment  (Read 1389 times)

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
Cryogenic accuracy treatment
« on: October 23, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
I'm having two 6.5 barrels rechambered to 6.5 Creedmoor.
...one is a Shilen  barrel that was stubbed,
...and the other is a handi barrel that was bored out from .223.
The gunsmith commented that the Shilen Barrel was very uniform in Hardness,
...but the Handi barrel kept changing from hard spot to soft spot and back while he was reaming it.
The gunsmith recommended a cryogenic treatment to improve the accuracy of the Handi barrel.
Anyone heard of that?
Anyone have experience with that?
...(other than Sourdough leaving a rifle outside in the winter.)

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Cryogenic accuracy treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »
Yes, cryogenic treatments are often used in higher end gun barrels to make them more consistent.  There is a molecular level change in steels after having it done.  I am not sure the specifics on timing etc.   Here's the Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_treatment
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline craigster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
I and a couple buddies tried it. Our opinion? Money down a rat hole.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
It may well help the handi as the lug is a weldment to the barrel. The heat effected zone is what was showing up in the reamer(STRESS) cryo will help relieve the stress induced by the welding. 4140 need to be relieved after welding. I am not sure that it is done properly from the factory as the hard and soft spots are showing up,   26-t

Offline Brian P.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:37:23 PM »
I tested the treatment on shooting long strings, from 300 Below, on a Marlin wmr.  I saw NO benefit and got a refund.
Lead me not into temptation but point me to it instead.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
maybe it's when the cryo treatment is
done that makes it effective or not?
i know benelli spent a gazzilion dollars
(euros/lira?) for cryo equipment to treat
all their barrels/chokes and a lot of the
high end knives get cryo treatment.
maybe it's not effective after the fact?
i know it does affect grain structure in
steels. maybe some steels more so
than others?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
I'm having two 6.5 barrels rechambered to 6.5 Creedmoor.
...one is a Shilen  barrel that was stubbed,
...and the other is a handi barrel that was bored out from .223.

The gunsmith commented that the Shilen Barrel was very uniform in Hardness,
...but the Handi barrel kept changing from hard spot to soft spot and back while he was reaming it.
The gunsmith recommended a cryogenic treatment to improve the accuracy of the Handi barrel.
Anyone heard of that?
Anyone have experience with that?
...(other than Sourdough leaving a rifle outside in the winter.)
Regarding the cryogenic treatment, IMO it's a money making procedure for a gunsmith, not much visible improvement, unless your profession is a "gun-riter", or a gunsmith.

What I would like to know is how the barrels turn out.  Is one a better shooter than the other, if so, which one.  If you don't mind could you put a ball park figure on the price for the work.  If you don't want it public, send me a PM.  I've always been interested in the 6.5 Creedmore chambering.  If I can't get one in a Handi, I might get one in a bolt rifle, they're lighting on hogs.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
I did it yers ago on a Ruger 77/22M... It did help accuracy a bit with uniformity... I don't know that I would do it again.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
I did it yers ago on a Ruger 77/22M... It did help accuracy a bit with uniformity... I don't know that I would do it again.
Regarding the cryogenic treatment, IMO it's a money making procedure for a gunsmith, not much visible improvement, unless your profession is a "gun-riter", or a gunsmith.
I saw NO benefit and got a refund.
I and a couple buddies tried it. Our opinion? Money down a rat hole.

That's unanimous!!

What I would like to know is how the barrels turn out.  Is one a better shooter than the other, if so, which one.  If you don't mind could you put a ball park figure on the price for the work.  If you don't want it public, send me a PM.  I've always been interested in the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering.  If I can't get one in a Handi, I might get one in a bolt rifle, they're lighting on hogs.
I started the project almost a year ago. Originally to compare 6.5TCU's. I got the stub a couple of months ago. It was chambered in a rimmed version that is a bitch to make brass for, but it showed promise.

In the meantime I bought an LR6.5. It is the best rifle I ever fired.

I found a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on-the-shelf and bought it and then a used Savage in .308 to put the barrel on. I did the barrel change myself. It had some scope mount problems, (now fixed) and should get to the range this week or next for evaluation.

While I was waiting for the rebore I experimented with making Creedmoor brass from 303Brit and 307Win. The Brit is easier, but both work.

So by the time the rebore arrived I had made arrangements for it to become a 6.5 Creedmoor rimmed, and decided to include the Stub.

Without optics:
  LR6.5 ~ $1000.00
  Savage bolt ~ $450.00
  Handi rebore ~ $600.00
  Handi Shilen Stub ~$1000.00

(Please don't send my wife a link to this post.)

Offline PineyCreek22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:55 AM »
Never had any experience with the process myself.  Most of what I have read indicates that little if any benefit results.  IMHO I think a good hand lapping job would do more to create  more consistant  interior barrel surfaces.  Piney Creek
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 02:20:25 AM »
I think I would put a rubber dounut thingy on it if ya want to spend some more money ::) ;D  Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 04:14:56 AM »
I think I would put a rubber dounut thingy on it if ya want to spend some more money ::) ;D  Kurt

I was skeptable myself until I used one on a H&R 22LR that refused to group!! I posted this up some time back. I added it shot groups removed it shot patterns, replaced it and shot groups again.

Who knows if it will work on all barrels and calibers. All I will say is this limbsaver "Donut" worked on my H&R 22LR!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 05:26:18 AM »
have one of those limbsaver c.r. on
my .223 handi. works good for it.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:57 AM »
I was skeptable myself until I used one, ... this limbsaver "Donut" worked on my H&R 22LR!!!
CW

I suspect that Kurt's suggestion was mostly about things to do if my wallet started feeling a little heavy.
 ;)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »
I was skeptable myself until I used one, ... this limbsaver "Donut" worked on my H&R 22LR!!!
CW

I suspect that Kurt's suggestion was mostly about things to do if my wallet started feeling a little heavy.
 ;)

LOL. Maybe so...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:14:07 AM »
We have one custom muzzleloader that has had the treatment, a fine Rice barrel, and it is slick, nice & easy to clean and shoots well. We never had a chance to prove it before, so, who knows? The friend who made it makes match rifles and has a source for the treatment that is so reasonably priced that there was no reason not to, and he has proven to his satisfaction that it improves a barrel (he is a champ shooter). I have heard some pricing for this that I consider a racket; batches of items are done, not one at a time, so the cost is spread per pound.
IMHO, it wont make a bad barrel good, but it may make a good barrel a little better. You do the math for yourself with the price they pitch you.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 08:12:10 AM »
I don't know hoot about the cryogenic barrel treating business but I will concur with your smith regarding "hard spots" in Handi barrels. I have noticed this while reaming chambers and also while turning down the outside of a barrel.  IIRC, one member doing a handi rechamber, 30-30AI???, couldn't not finish the work by hand because of a hard spot and the good folks at 4D finished the chamber for him. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 08:50:41 AM »
I've made a bunch of knife blades for myself and others and I know that the cryo quench will transform the steel's micro-structure and makes it more wear resistant by transforming any remaining austenite to martensite.

The quench is followed by a temper or draw using an oven. For the life of me, I can't see how stresses can be removed by cryoquenching without a draw afterward. It would seem that temperatures this low would do nothing but induce stress.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Mr BadWrench

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
In theory, If you wallet was REALLY REALLY heavy, it could cause to to shoot a little to the left.... I completely understand how this would help....   Id just leave it in the car but thats how I roll.

Don

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »
As I recall, the cryo was a drop to X deg., held for just so long and let to come back up, then the oven draw for just so long, etc. A lot of stuff is done, tooling and such, so the chap gets a full container full to run the procedure. Ive read about it some but cant explain it more than to say, it made sense to me and I'd do it were the price still 'right'. I can see where somebody could take advantage of the unsuspecting and throw some 'premium charges' on top of the real costs. IIRC we talked about if it were better to lapp before or after, and decided it probably wouldnt matter.
I do know that Rice barrel is very nice and, last I knew, no longer available.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
George,
  I once had the thought to try cryo treating a Handi barrel but never followed through with it. I do, however, have experience with cryo treated razor blades. I shave every single day while deployed and never need more than 8 blades per year. I get more than 40 shavings from a single Gillette Sensor Excel blade.
  I have my wife convinced that we save money every year by using Great Razors' blades. In fact, I just reallocate the saving to buying bullets, etc instead. ::)

http://www.greatrazors.com/about-us.aspx

Looks like it's only $35 + plus shipping for a rifle barrel.
http://www.cryopro.com/gun.html

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 02:34:11 AM »
The directions at cryopro make it pretty clear that the treatment is applied to your unopened container, and that it is then returned to you. I don't believe that will include any oven time.

...but, for $35 plus shipping I will have it done to the rebore, after I know how it shoots untreated.

Thanks Dinny.
  GP

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
George,
  They keep the razor blades in their original packaging too. Please document all of your results and share your findings. I'm considering sending them a knife blade for a kit that I'm giving as a gift to my dad.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
I'm thinking though if it made my .223 any more accurate, it'd always look like I was shooting one hole.  That just doesn't seem right.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.