Author Topic: now that its years later, do you still have your 223WSSM rifles  (Read 1846 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
just wondered about the people that bought them, do you still have em and are the barrels still good?  did they stand the test of time?

I am seeing them on the used gun racks for sale at some good prices....tempting....yeah I know, get lots of brass right.  but then maybe I won't need a lot of brass if the gun won't feed? 

if the gun will shoot (here we go, another cartridge bench race...) how will it compare to the swift and 22-250?

243WSSM owners or former owners feel free to add.

thank you
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: now that its years later, do you still have your 223WSSM rifles
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
I'd also like to know and the same for the 243WSSM.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
did the  25 wssm ever do anything

thought it would really shine  in the ar platform but never  did
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
the short fat stuff never did anything for me.there mus be sumone here who likes them?you dont hear much about them anymore. they seemed like good guns but i couldnt spend that kind of money for just 100 to 250 fps in velocity gain.it actually was a good theory,short fat powder stacks burn faster with less waste.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:49 AM »
Yes I agree it was a good idea on paper, but the gun buying public are a fickle bunch...  ;) Longer, tapered, slender cases just feed so much better. Look at the british dangerous game cartridges. Me personally I would take a 300 H&H in a 30 caliber or a 30-30. Just like the looks & smooth feeding of those rounds. I love the 257 roberts too. 25 Win S mag naw, Give me a roberts anyday.  ::)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »
The Browning chrome-lined barrels in the 223 & 243 WSSMs seem to hold up very well.  Check in on the WSSMZone if you'd like?  Some Winchesters left w/o chrome; not sure how well they do.
I still have my 25WSSM.  It's not chrome lined, and while part of me wishes it was, it's not as big a deal with the 25-cal as it probably is with the smaller bores.
The WSSM is actually fairly popular in the AR realm.  It appears to me to not be quite so simple as putting the WSSM/OSSM bbl on an upper receiver and rolling, though.  D-Tech puts a little effort into the job and turns out some nice rifles.  I think a home rebarrel job might go badly...
If you pick a WSSM up, look for Federal-headstamped brass.  They apparently ordered a mess of it, and then decided not to make ammo after all(?).  Anyway, the necks on the Federal-stamped brass are reportedly much easier to work with.  Winchester-stamped WSSM brass can cause you lots of consternation until you learn how to work with it; then it's alright, just different than 'normal' brass.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:05:48 AM »
I have the 223wssm and the 243wssm in Winchester M70s and like them. Online I see Winchester super X PP ammo for the 223 wssm for 20 bucks so ammo can still be had cheap and also brass is reasonable.

Offline sonofafish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
I did have one I got cheap. It is the fastest 22 on the market I found out and easy to reload. Have some good data that work with my m70. Still have dies and brass for it so if you get it maybe we can do some trading. Nice little rifle with a fat punch. Sold it for twice as much.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
I bought a 300WSM on gunbroker several years ago when they were first introduced.  It was a Mod 70 Winchester.  Installed a Jewell trigger after repeated attempts to adjust the original trigger.  The gun is not worth what I have in it after the Jewell trigger, but it is light, I am old, I am fat, and getting a new knee in September.  When I go out west, it or my Mod 7 in 308 is my go to rifle.
My 300WSM is not a tack driver but will almost achieve 1 MOA.  I helped a friend sight in a Browning that would shoot one inch.  I load 150 grain bullets since most of my hunting is in NC, and have not tried the 165 or 180, except some 180 factory stuff.  It is far more rifle than I need in NC.
I love the 25 cal for deer hunting but my 25-06 is everything a 25WSSM is and I don't think I need both.  Even if I sell my older 25-06, I'd just get another.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 02:58:03 AM »
I have the 270WSM , 300WSM and the 325WSM in Win M70's. With your 300WSM try Accurate 2700 powder with a 180gr bullet and a win LRMP, near the upper end of the data you should get sub MOA.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »
they are good rounds, no one can tell yu diff.but im still not going for them.i dont need too. the 06 and 6.5x55 does every thing i need dun.

Offline josie wales

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »
YES!!!!! I still have mine and love this round. I purchased a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .223 WSSM just for hunting large New England coyotes. I roll my own so no problem with ammo. The best coyote round is the Winchester 64 grain Power Point on top of Varget. It is a through and through round and always bang-flop. The best thing I enjoy is the gun has taken years off my body IT IS LIGHT!!!!!! I consider it the perfect coyote gun. I am still wondering why the public did not welcome the WSSM series,It is a head scratcher. Oh by the way my gun with a Sightron 3-9 Big Sky will shoot 3/4" if you take your time and let the barrel cool between shots. Pat attention to you barrel keep it clean,the .223 WSSM loves a clean barrel.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 01:39:50 PM »
The 223 WSSM is a niche cartridge that is easy to reload for and fun to shoot. If you have a swift or 22-250 then you may not want to go to the expense of adding another caliber. If you like 224's you should add one to your collection.