Author Topic: Easy breach loader.  (Read 887 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Easy breach loader.
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:15:17 AM »
Im always looking for easy ways to do things.  Breach loaders are something I always looking into. Easy to clean and more popular. I know that its not that hard to do the right way but it does take a little bit of work. I was wondering if this would be a good way to do it. In this link you will see a cannon that has what I think to be a 3/8" allen bolt for a breach plug in a cannon with over a 1" bore. Any chance it could be a safe and tried and tested way of doing this. Anyone ever do this before and have success with it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230868695676

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Easy breach loader.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »
interesting
fromwhat i reading on that listing is the breech is removed for cleaning not for loading
for a sgnal cannon i say you be ok and safe as all you pressure is mostly blown out the bore
if you made one for live fire i be very concerned withe two different types of medal between the allan screw and the  barrel

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:48:56 AM »
Doc,  I'm sure you are pulling our collective legs here.  Who put you up to this?

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:58:28 AM »
It looks like something you would roll bread dough with.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:14:53 AM »
Surely Doc by now you are ready to move on to something less amateurish that that thing.  Besides it replicates no pre 1899 design, that I am aware off. 

I have some complete plans for long Cecil I would gladly share with you.  Yes a post 1898 design, but I would provide a copy of the ATF letter making it antique. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,243416.0.html

You have demonstrated the skills to build such a gun, why not go for it?

I am building mine from a 20 mm barrel, you could  build it from a .50 cal barrel or even a smooth bore.   You could have a rifled breech loader that shoots surplus .50 cal slugs. You could also get a rifled muzzle loader or shot gun barrel  from Gun-parts company.

Long Cecil-Williams-727 [Public domain or Public domain], by Book: Williams, Gardner Fred, 1842-1922, Photos not attributed, from Wikimedia Commons.

By the way it looks like now my build will not get started until 2014.

There some other good breech-loader designs you could do that look like cannons and not some kids toy.  The French 75 that  Dom build as a muzzle loader, could easily be made as a breech loader as it was original.  We have also had a number of Whitworth's built here.   Plans for the Whitworth are avaialble from AOP.

Get a copy of the Abridged Treatise on the construction and manufacture of ordnance in the British service (Google eBook).  This book is full of cannon drawings that you can scale from as well as drawings showing how these guns were built.

Here is an example

Any of these guns will look great and shot good.  Build one of these and it won't look like a gun that some kid built, like that ebay gun. You will have a gun that you can be proud of and pass on to future generations.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:17:08 AM »
interesting
fromwhat i reading on that listing is the breech is removed for cleaning not for loading
for a sgnal cannon i say you be ok and safe as all you pressure is mostly blown out the boreif you made one for live fire i be very concerned withe two different types of medal between the allan screw and the  barrel

You obviously have made an assumption here.  I've seen a 'signal cannon' blow up.  It was bronze, 1" bore and 3" OD at the breech.  Safety is achieved with good design, good materials and machining practices in construction AND prudent loading.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »
There are also several US designed breechloaders from the post-Civil War era that could be adopted within the pre-1898 requirement.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
How exactly is that a breechloader?   If I'm looking at this correctly, the picture shows a hole in the back of the barrel that is threaded for a 3/8" bolt.  That makes the bolt the breech plug, not that clump of metal it attaches to the rear of the barrel.

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
I make fastners such as that 3/8 socket head for a living and I promise you unless thats an Aircraft quality fastners made out of  monel or a high grade stainless such as 17-4 its not gonna have the tensil strengh to old up to the forces that cannon is goin to produce

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 12:33:39 AM »
 In reality, a standard alloy SHCS has superior tensile strength compared to one made from either monel or 17-4.
http://www.smithfast.com/shcsmech.html

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes