Author Topic: 6.5 creedmoor?  (Read 344 times)

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
6.5 creedmoor?
« on: October 28, 2012, 03:48:01 AM »
has anyone rebored a handi to this caliber yet? If so, what barrel was used, how much was it and who would you recommend? After doing some research on ballistics, im' seriously considering doing this.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
Re: 6.5 creedmoor?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »
...and this is buried deep inside another thread:

I'm having two 6.5 barrels rechambered to 6.5 Creedmoor.
...one is a Shilen  barrel that was stubbed,
...and the other is a handi barrel that was bored out from .223.

Quote from: OldSchoolRanger on October 24, 2012, 12:04:39 AMWhat I would like to know is how the barrels turn out.  Is one a better shooter than the other, if so, which one.  If you don't mind could you put a ball park figure on the price for the work.  If you don't want it public, send me a PM.  I've always been interested in the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering.  If I can't get one in a Handi, I might get one in a bolt rifle, they're lighting on hogs.

I started the project almost a year ago. Originally to compare 6.5TCU's. I got the stub a couple of months ago. It was chambered in a rimmed version that is a bitch to make brass for, but it showed promise.
 In the meantime I bought an LR6.5. It is the best rifle I ever fired.
I found a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on-the-shelf and bought it and then a used Savage in .308 to put the barrel on. I did the barrel change myself. It had some scope mount problems, (now fixed) and should get to the range this week or next for evaluation.
While I was waiting for the rebore I experimented with making Creedmoor brass from 303Brit and 307Win. The Brit is easier, but both work.
So by the time the rebore arrived I had made arrangements for it to become a 6.5 Creedmoor rimmed, and decided to include the Stub.
Without optics:
  LR6.5 ~ $1000.00
  Savage bolt ~ $450.00
  Handi rebore ~ $600.00
  Handi Shilen Stub ~$1000.00