Author Topic: Reloading setup costs  (Read 661 times)

Offline Aaron1100us

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading setup costs
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Thinking about starting out reloading 7.62x54.  I know there is cheap corrosive surplus out there but I refuse to run that through my Dragunov.  So far, I've been able to find 7.62x54 for $9-13 a box.  Would it be worth it and cheaper in the long run to reload?  I'd also like to reload 357 SIG, .380 and .40 some day. 

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Savage

Re: Reloading setup costs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:31 AM »
Aaron, depends on the volume you plan to load how long it'll take to recover the cost of your initial investment. A basic semi progressive like the Dillon 550, along with the other equipment and components, you'll likely spend $1000-$1200 to get setup for one caliber. It's much cheaper of course to add what you need for other calibers later. Likely in the neighborhood of $100-$150. If you go with a good single stage or turret, you can get started for around $500. Don't forget the hand loaders, like the Lee Classic, or tong loaders. With one of those you can get started much cheaper. If you buy components in bulk, you can save a good bit of money over factory. The price of components has gone through the roof in recent years. There's not nearly as much savings as there was even a few years ago. It's one of those "The More You Shoot, The More You Save" things. One real advantage to reloading is you can stockpile components and insure you have ammo available should it become difficult to obtain some day soon.
Good Luck!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:43:45 AM »
I would say that a rule of thumb is that you can reload for between 30 to 40% of what factory loads cost, little more on high end stuff, less on stuff with surplus available. If you use cast bullets and make your own, you save a little more. Reloading is in itself a hobby, like baking from scratch. You dont always save a bunch, but you can get EXACTLY what you want, and most of us are a little paranoid about scarcity, or having our favorite products either priced at ridiculous levels, or discontinued. If you are going to shoot a hundred rounds a year and are not the do it yourself type, dont bother. If you will shoot 100 rounds a month and like to get under the hood, it is probably worthwhile.100 a week..... you have way too much free time... ::)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Aaron1100us

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:02:53 AM »
Thanks.  I'm not going to shoot the 7.62x54 as much as my other calibers, I just worry about the supply of the non corrosive stuff. And 357 SIG is expensive.  I'd like to shoot it a lot more than I do.  The .22lr's and my Glock 22 get shot the most.  My Wife shoots .380 but does not go out to shoot very often. 

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »
As Savage said, it's a highly variable 'equation.'  If you're not a handloader now, it might possibly be worth picking up Lyman's or Speer's reloading manual and reading through the 'how-to' sections just to get an idea of what's involved with handloading.
Personally, I do _not_ recommend an expensive reloading set-up to folks who haven't handloaded before.  FAR too many people decide it's not for them, or something of the sort, and have spent over a grand to find that out.  Start with a simple, modest set-up, probably either something from Lee or something used in your area at a garage sale.  I have a Lee Hand Press I bought 20-ish years ago, and still use it for a large portion of my handloading.  I don't load a thousand rounds at a sitting with it, of course!  ;)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:07:24 AM »
You can get a Lee reloading kit from Cabelas for $115, then all you need is a manual, dies and components.  Some calibers you can save a lot on, my 300 RUM is about $3.25/shot, I can reload for under a buck. Others like the Mosin Nagant are under 20 cents around for the corrosive stuff you can't touch that with reloading.  And it's really not that hard to clean a gun after firing the corrosive ammo.  Unless it was unfired, all of the surplus Nagants that are out there ate exclusively corrosive berdan primer stuff.

I recommend using a single stage to start, that is all I still use although I bought the RCBS kit, a little better quality all around.  You will likely morph into higher end stuff as you move along.

I reload because I make better and more accurate ammo that you can buy, for the pride of making a bullet that can hit a dime at 100 yards and taking game with my bullets, and for the pure enjoyment of it.  I love reloading and would do it even if it were significantly more expensive that factory ammo...  And it probably is with all of the gadgets that have found their way onto my benchtop...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:33:56 AM »
What a friend told me 35 years ago when I was considering reloading or just buying factory ammo , still holds true today...

"You will most likely spend about the same amount of money either way, but when you spend it on reloading you will be able to shoot a whole lot more"
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
NO!
It's a never ending,  bottomless money pit!
RUN! Run away,,,
found elsewhere

Offline Aaron1100us

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
Hehe, I like the idea of starting with a single press.  I do need to get some books first.  About the cheap corrosive stuff, I'd buy that no problem if I had a Nagant.  I just don't want to run that through my Dragunov. 

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
You don't have to spend a fortune to get started in reloading. If your willing to go slow and shop for used bargins you won't even feel the expenditure.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
Do get some books, the Public library should have a few.
I actually studied for a month or two before I started just a few years back. There is a basic Safety Protocol that needs learning and a standard procedure.

And Iowa Fox is right, that's just what I did. Second hand single stage press and a few other items used off ebay, You don't need ALL the stuff right away.
I think I got enough gear to begin loading for just under $200 and that included components like powder, primers, brass and bullets, I bought more items as the year(s) passed and it's soon enough you'll have plenty of gear.
Loading for me began as a cost saving measure (because factory ammo isn't going down in cost).
 Becoming a proficiant shooter requires practice, (there's the increased cost,,you shoot more),,
, but more important the ability to "tailor" ammo to your gun is priceless

Go ahead and make the move, do it. You can look here at GBO's classified section for gear, and theres other places for used gear too. As an aside if you find it's not your cup of tea you can always sell your stuff, if cared for proper items loose little value, or you can trade off to upgrade as you see fit.
found elsewhere

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
My .02 .

Let it be known your intentions to reload. Keep your eyes open and find a deal on used equipment. you are reloading for one of those less expensive rounds. I find the auto pistol rounds to be little more than finger mashing SOB's. The 357sig and 40S&W are supposed to be a bit tricky to boot.

I have three boutique rounds that make it a no brainer ( for me ). .325WSM, .41 Rem Mag, and .45-70, availability (lack thereof ), cost (nearly $2 - $3 a pop), and loading what I need, not what is available ( .41 and 45-70 ).

Once you are set up though you have no fear of picking up one of the boutique chamberings. They don't cost much more than a common round as components.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Another way to answer your question is, "how much you want to spend?"  Like everything else, you can go mild to wild.  If you are buying ammo for the price you indicated, you should figure that you will save about 1/2 than loading for components, powder, etc.  Factor in how fancy you want to go with the loading setup, and you can get an idea of how long to recoup your money.

I recommend you run some adds locally where you live and try to buy some used stuff.  You might be surprised and luck up on some real deals.  Used equipment, unless it's top of the line, does not bring that much used.

Good luck!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:02:50 AM »
I started slowly, read the books, and helped by fellow shooters/reloaders,

accumulated second hand gear.

Over time you end up proficient and confident, with a good set of the necessary,
and then slowly acquire the 'extras' !

At the end of the day, when you add it up, it can be a considerable investment, but completed over time, to budget, it's not such a drain on finances if these are limited.

cheers,
SS

Offline gary0529

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
Let me wade in here.
 I have reloaded for what is approaching 50 years and well over 20 different calibers and will advocate starting with a single stage press. It took me 40 years before I went to a progressive. If you load primarily rifle that does not start with 5.56 go single stage. You get to go slow, learn what you are doing and why and build a quality round.
I am partial to RCBS but understand that Lee is a good low cost way to start, heck, I even have a cheapie Lee press that I use with a Lee universal depriming die to deprime cases before I tumble clean them.
I suspect you could get going for about 200 bucks for equipment AND a manual or two. Also willing to bet that if you know anyone who reloads they will lend you a manual or two and be more than happy to give you a start.
Talk to others who reload your caliber or go online to see what the most efficient powder may be so you can start off with lesser cost as opposed to buying 3 or 4 different ones.
I usually invite the new/prospective reloader over and have him bring some empty cases and we go over everything from inspection of the cases to need to clean(not really unless you get a more severe case of reloaderitis) to have him actually reload the rounds. If I have that caliber I will usually just give him the primers, powder and bullet for 10 or 20. I can afford it and I believe it is a good investment in our shooting future.
Ask around at the range or gun club or even gun store if it is customer friendly for someone to mentor you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it if you proceed forward.

Gary