Author Topic: bluing wear on cyclinder  (Read 391 times)

Offline blksqurl

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
bluing wear on cyclinder
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
while loading for a new double action revolver with lead bullets i noticed the bluing had worn off the front outside cornor of every chamber and slightly down the side.there was some smoke with some loads, used two powders 680 and rel 7 .some bullets had no crimp grove so just crimped beyond the wax.they did have a gaschk.would a tight cyclinder gap have anything to do with it .003 what is the most likely problem or do i need to give more info.   thanks

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
Re: bluing wear on cyclinder
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:57:12 PM »
Have never had powder residue remove blueing.  I guess if the cylinder gap were large enough and the heat plus gas could cause this but do not think it likely.

Sounds more like holster wear to me.  Holsters are notorious for the problem you describe.  What holster are you using.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
got to ask what caliber is this gun and why are you using powders as slow as 680 and re7 in it????? Its not doubt why your getting the smoke. Im sure some of that powder isnt burning in the barrel. That along with you probably not getting a proper crimp without a crimp grove. Revolvers work best with a heavy crimp and a bit faster powders. the crimp holds the  bullet back so that more of the powder is burnt in the case. exteamly slow powders like your using and a light crimp just arent what a guy wants in a handgun. I load even the linebaughs and there BIG cases and have never seen a need for any powder slower then 110. My best advice to you would be to go and buy a lb of 2400 and try working with that along with some good bullets that have a crimp grove.
blue lives matter

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
got to ask what caliber is this gun and why are you using powders as slow as 680 and re7 in it? ??? ? Its not doubt why your getting the smoke. Im sure some of that powder isnt burning in the barrel. That along with you probably not getting a proper crimp without a crimp grove. Revolvers work best with a heavy crimp and a bit faster powders. the crimp holds the  bullet back so that more of the powder is burnt in the case. exteamly slow powders like your using and a light crimp just arent what a guy wants in a handgun. I load even the linebaughs and there BIG cases and have never seen a need for any powder slower then 110. My best advice to you would be to go and buy a lb of 2400 and try working with that along with some good bullets that have a crimp grove.

+1

Even my most nastiest thumpers don't use a powder that slow , in most case's I use either 2400 , Unique or H110 and have never had an issue .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped