Author Topic: New 45-70 barrel  (Read 477 times)

Offline northernwheeler

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
New 45-70 barrel
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
HI guys first time post here.  I recently pick up a 357 and  223 handi.  I sent one receiver in for a 45-70 barrel and it came back with  side to side play on the barrel when opened.  I was just wondering if this is a normal thing with a handi or is there something I can do to tighten it up.  Otherwise it locks up tight. Just worried after it wares in the headspace might loosen up.....  Thanks for your time.

Offline Ammo dog 2311

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New 45-70 barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:28:19 AM »
I have a BC 45-70 and I does the same thing. Very loose when opened but tight when closed. Maybe call them and ask if this is normal. Mine shoots fine so maybe it's what you get for a $ 400 gun!
I hope others will post there experiences...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:53:51 AM »
Loose when open isn't important, the rifle can be fired without the forend, so being loose when open isn't a big deal. The forend controls how it fits when open, it's an easy fix to tighten on a wood forend by adding a shim between the spacer and the forend, not so easy on a synthetic forend tho, see Forend Fit in the FAQs sticky above, best place to look when you have a question.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
As long as it locks up tight dont worry about it; hope it shoots good for ya, thats a nice spread of calibers youve got going.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:12:52 AM »
I ground off a little more than I'd have liked to on the syn. forend on my 223 Superlite and it really wobbled around when open. Thought I ruined it. Locks up tight when closed and shoots fine. As crank said, good range of calibers/cartridges you have to "START" with ;D