Author Topic: Ruger Mark III  (Read 720 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger Mark III
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »
Someone presented me with a new one just yesterday.  Stainless "Hunter" model with 6 7/8 barrel.  The sights are a little "weird."  The rear is a shallow "V" notch and the front is one of those light gathering plastic thingies so prominent on handguns these days.  Does anyone here have such sights on a gun?  Are they as precise as regular sights, like simple square notch and post?  I haven't fired it yet, and it seems that the sights can be very quickly aligned, but I'm not sure the best groups can be obtained with those sights.  Who has had experience with sights like that? 

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Ruger Mark III
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:28:05 AM »
I have but not on a Ruger Mark 3. I find them faster for hunting and defense shooting but not as fine a sighting system as black sq post and black sq notch. But the older my eyes get the more I like um.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
I have a couple Mkllls. I am considering a .105 Fiber Optic front from Dawson for my iron sighted one. I find most of the FO sights have large fiber optic rods that are difficult to use for precision shooting. The Dawson has a small FO that is fast to align, yet the square top of the sight is visible for precision aiming. I have the Dawsons on a couple of my game guns and like them a lot. Give them a look if you find the Ruger sights too large for precision shooting.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:11:48 AM »
I have a Mark III hunter as well. Very accurate with these sights. Very easy to pick up the front sight.  The gun is more accurate than the shooter.. :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »
My buddy has this one with a fluted barrel.  It was out of the box more accurate than any other .22 semi-automatic I've personally fired.  We were hitting clay pigeons at 50 yards first day.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »
I have the same gun and I love it! The sights are very fast for hunting, but still plenty accurate for target work. When the wind cooperates and with the right ammo we can hit my 10" gong 10 for 10 shots at 100 yards. Just a little wind and that hit ratio drops dramatically though. ;)

Andrew
Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow.

Keep honking, that should fix everything.