Author Topic: Got the Williams FP for my BC  (Read 922 times)

Offline LibertyShip

• Trade Count: (0)
Got the Williams FP for my BC
« on: February 09, 2004, 03:59:14 PM »
Yep, it just screws on but I don't have the right screw drivers and I have decided not to mess up the screws like I usually do so I will wait to install it until I buy a set.  NEF sent the screws with it.  Do you guys use Lock-tite or anything on these installations?

By the way, it looks like the FP will let you raise the rear sight about 4 times higher than the maximum range of increase on the WGRS.  I'm really thinking that given the ease of resetting with the positive-click target knobs and the extra height, we might be able to reach out  beyond 300 yards with the FP and if we make a few notes, reset back to the 110 yard point blank range, etc.

Sure wish NEF had sent some paperwork with the sight, though, so I could learn a little about it!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 04:09:32 PM »
LibertyShip,
  Do you know the model number of the sight? I think there are several different models of this sight. I use the FP on my Marlin 1894, and really love it for hunting, but the apperature that comes with my sight is too large for target work. I believe they can be bought separately. Williams might be able to supply you with information on your sight.
Don

Offline elblerinnv

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 04:42:22 PM »
LibertyShip, for some years I have been avoiding part of the note keeping for receiver sights by using automotive pin striping tape to mark the slide.  Sight in for any given range, place a small piece of colored tape across the moveable staff and base, then cut the tape with a single edged razor blade, cutting between the staff and base, of course.  Resight for the next range, repeat with a different color tape.  Generally you can get four or five different settings this way, and if you record what range each color stands for on a business card, then tape it to the stock, counting clicks is a thing of the past.  Works for me.  Oh, thin pieces of colored electricians tape work as well as the pin striping stuff, and is easier to find.

I have one of the FP sights on order for my .38-55 Target Model.  Can hardly wait for it to get here.

Best to all,
Ernie

Offline LibertyShip

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 05:15:49 PM »
Quote from: Big Blue
LibertyShip,
  Do you know the model number of the sight? I think there are several different models of this sight. I use the FP on my Marlin 1894, and really love it for hunting, but the apperature that comes with my sight is too large for target work. I believe they can be bought separately. Williams might be able to supply you with information on your sight.
Don

I ordered the one on the HR/NEF Web site.  But since you asked, I examined the sight and it looks like it is stamped with "H R" so I guess that's the model number.  Makes sense.

I think I've seen various apperatures for Williams sights in Brownell's catalog.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 05:21:21 PM »
LibertyShip,
  Sounds like a winner, I'll go check the H+R site.
Don

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 05:23:24 PM »
Ernie,
  I like your idea of the striping tape, I'll give it a try.  As chance would have it, I have a box of striping tape sitting 6' from me right now. That's timing.
Don

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 10:19:15 PM »
Midway had the H&R FP sight listed as "Coming Soon".  They are cheaper thru H&R anyway.  They're darn right expensive thru the Williams site.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 12:15:40 PM »
LibertyShip,
  Where did you see that sight for sale? I looked on the pld site at the barrel accessory program, but didn' t see it.
Don

Offline LibertyShip

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 03:06:15 PM »
Quote from: Big Blue
LibertyShip,
  Where did you see that sight for sale? I looked on the pld site at the barrel accessory program, but didn' t see it.
Don

Here 'tis...right column, third item:

http://www.hr1871.com/store/index.htm

You gotta call them to order it...or mail in a form.  But mine came through in good shape.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 01:35:23 PM »
LibertyShip,
  I feel kinda dumb. I never thought to look there. Thanks for posting it.
Don

Offline dpastor

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 09:20:06 AM »
Received my "FP" last week for my 45-70 Handi.  Previously, I had installed a taller front sight (about $6) from NEF (call for info).  The new sight fits well and really matches the barrel contour.  I "zero'd" the new sight by sighting through the peep and through the open sights. I agree, the aperture seems large and the "surround" makes it feel like a ghost ring sight.  We'll see at the range.  That open sight was so coarse and the sight radius so short that it made group shooting difficult.

The only difficulty was removing the factory open rear sight.  After removing the elevation adjustment screw, you need a 1/16" drift to punch out the roll pin holding the movable portion of the sight to the base.  Once out (don't lose the spring) a screwdriver will remove the base from the barrel.  There will probably be a wear mark on the barrel where the spring and elevation screw contacted the barrel.

Due to the barrel contour machined into the new sight, I do believe that there is only one model available for this rifle.  Indeed, HR is stamped on this sight.
Even a turtle has to stick its neck out to get ahead.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 01:25:52 PM »
dpastor,
  That large aperature is fine for hunting, but for target work, it just doesn,t cut it. The FP I have on my Marlin 1894 is perfect for hunting, I remove the aperature and use it as a ghost ring. Got me a buck on opening day last season.
Don