Author Topic: Watervliet  (Read 526 times)

Offline Machine Tom

• Trade Count: (0)
Watervliet
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
Also 40 years ago I had business at the Watervielt Arsenal in NY. As I drove up the road to the building, the roads were lined with Cannon barrels all muzzle loaders, buried nose down and strung with ship chain as guard rails. 100's and 100's. I wonder if they are still there.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Watervliet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
     Machine Tom,    When I visited the Arsenal in 1979 after finishing my machinist training, I noticed that they had, at the Northeast Gate, one or two large 1861 13-Inch Seacoast Mortars.  Also, in the park-like area North of the building near that entrance, was a large, rectangular pile of cannonballs which lay parallel to a north-south hedgerow.  Although I did not notice any fence made of planted cannons and anchor chain, my travel on the site was limited to only about 50 yards to a northside parking lot and job application office.  The vast majority of roads and buildings lay south of where I was.

When Mike and I visited Watervliet Arsenal in 2004 to see their museum, we walked over the grounds extensively and noticed that one big 13" Seacoast Mortar had been moved inside and that the big pile of cannonballs was gone.  We entered from the South Gate and noticed that their were no fences made of cannon tubes at this time.  They most likely were removed with the cannonball pile.    After our tour of the old machine shop which was one-half competed at that time, looked through hundreds of artillery drawings in the office loft above the small artifact section of the museum.  Only then did we make a discovery that made the whole trip worthwhile.  The museum was housed in the "Cast Iron Building" in 2004 and may still be there.  In front of this building were several huge naval artillery tubes, 8,12 and 16 inch I believe, as well as several armored vehicles.  These were very interesting, to be sure, but when we rounded the corner to the south end of that solid, cast iron building, we saw six or seven 8 X 10 foot steel bins like you see in scrap yards.  Each bin was filled with 3 to 4 hundred cannonballs!!  See photo below:

JACKPOT!!!  What a thrill it was to search through those bins looking for something unusual.  Mike found a rare 10" mortar round and I found 1/2 of a 6 Pdr. Case Shot with the balls, the melted sulfur matrix and the powder cavity intact!  See pic below.  The assistant curator who gave us that tour did not allow us to take any samples home, however, if you don't ask, you'll miss out on lots of opportunities.  He explained that the state demanded a separate document for each ball on location and condition where found.

Another thing we found in New York on that trip was that the large traversing carriage for the 150 Pdr. Armstrong (8”)Gun captured at Fort Fisher near Wilmington, North Carolina and now located at West Point on Trophy Point, has been replaced 3 times since 1864.  As we have been told, the first time was in the late thirties after almost 75 years!  The Brits made sturdy stuff back then, with the carriage being made of Rosewood and the Chassis of mahogany.  It was replaced by parties unknown, then in 1978 by Champlain Cannon Works ( Mike obtained a second copy of the drawing they used from the West Point Museum staff).  Mike told me that when the staff learned that they had a “live one” at the reception desk, they all came out to talk artillery with someone NOT associated with a school tour group.  He describes the Museum staff as the most helpful, friendly and cooperative that he has ever met.  Someone unknown infused a plasticizer into the wood to “make it last forever”.  It lasted only about 17 years until it turned to “mush” and was replaced by a Paulson Bros. metal carriage.

So,   The United States Military Academy at West Point, New York can use replacement carriages, for it’s absolutely Premier Trophy Artillery Piece captured in an extremely hard fought battle, but the State of Montana can’t??  Huh? What the?

Mike and Tracy of Seacoast Artillery say, “Political Correctness be Damned”,  just do what is logical and follow common sense ideas based on the norm employed by other, similar institutions.  In cases like this, it’s not foolish to follow the money.  Find out how many new administrators have been hired recently and you might just discover where the cannon carriage money went.

M&T

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:01:56 AM »
When our children attended the local high school...  at least 25 years ago...  the sports fields had never been fully finished before the money ran out.  Several groups expressed interest in completing various projects.  But if the money is gifted to the school (or other agency), all bets are off if there's a budget short fall & contracted obligations exist.  This has given rise to many 501C3 "Friends Of ...  "   The cash is never donated, but a MOU (Memmorandium Of Understanding) drafted to allow the non-profit to construct & donate the item.  The 501C3 is also able to solicit grants for certain work. 

Offline shooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »
Visited in August 2011.  The cannon balls had been moved indoors, the 13 inch mortar was nowhere to be seen but the cast iron building and the naval guns were still there.  The curator did not demonstrate any deep knowledge of history but was up on current manufacturing.

We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:48:07 AM »
Two of the videos we've done at Waterliet.  I've done some slideshows of the cannons inside, also, will look up the links to them if anyone is interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkP-R9RDYVs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFN1yEvAhyc