Author Topic: looking to make my first cannon but need some help!  (Read 510 times)

Offline s10w355

• Trade Count: (0)
looking to make my first cannon but need some help!
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:39:03 AM »
Ill start of by inducing myself. my name is Jeff ,I live in ny and id been intrested in cannons for ever just never took the plunge.  well here it is, one of my good friends owes me a bunch of favors and hes very good machinist. id like to have him turn out a small scale cannon around 12 inches or so with a .50 cal bore out of 1018 steel and im having trouble finding detailed prints to give him so if any one could help me id greatly appreciate it. thanks -Jeff

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: looking to make my first cannon but need some help!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
First thing to do is surf the Civil War Artillery Encyclopedia hosted by Robinson's Battery.  There are several pages covering most artillery used in the Civil War.  Once you have decided what you like, go to the Antique Ordnance Publishers catalog page and see if they have a plan folio for it.  The plans are all full scale so you or your machinist will have to do some math to resize for a small one but that is not all that difficult.

Half inch bore is going to make for a relatively small cannon if built to scale.  For example, the 12 pounder Napoleon is 4.62" bore and about 6' long.  Scale bore size at 1' long would be .77" which would be a good fit for 3/4" shot.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannon Cocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:37 AM »
You need to determine what style barrel you want to make.  Two common areas of interest are Civil War and Revolutionary War.  Google pictures of barrels with those keywords to get an idea what you like.  Most would agree here that if you are going to make a small cannon barrel, you might as well make it as close as you can to true reduced scale proportions. 

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
First welcome to the Forum!
at the top of the board are some stickies to look through......
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=41634.0
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=2814.0
The above link has a section on cannon plans.....
this should give you a place to start
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium