Author Topic: Interesting Fleabay find.  (Read 1870 times)

Offline NinjaToes

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Good Deal on a Cannon on FLEA Bay.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
No shipping to Canada  :-[
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
No shipping to Canada  :-[

I have had it happen where a Canadian has something shipped to a store they shop at across the border. If you are close to the border you should have it shipped to a mom and pop shop that you frequent in the states. Just a thought.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »
The carriage looks exactly like one of those that came with the "realistic cold cast" models from Spain, imported by Collectors Armory and others.  I would not so much be worried about the wood, but the "metal looking" fittings I think would not take much stress.  I'm guessing the seller made or had made a shootable barrel to fit one of these imported, "display only" carriages.  But I can't be sure. 

Another curious aspect of this is that the wheels are made in two halves, split down the plane that's at right-angles to the axle.   Wonder why that is?

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »
The carriage looks exactly like one of those that came with the "realistic cold cast" models from Spain, imported by Collectors Armory and others.  I would not so much be worried about the wood, but the "metal looking" fittings I think would not take much stress.  I'm guessing the seller made or had made a shootable barrel to fit one of these imported, "display only" carriages.  But I can't be sure. 

Another curious aspect of this is that the wheels are made in two halves, split down the plane that's at right-angles to the axle.   Wonder why that is?

Maybe for strength. A laminated piece of wood is much stronger than a single piece. Also laminated would be less likely to warp. The person who made this must of thought of everything. WOW.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »

That is a Brooks-USA 24 PDR barrel. That is one of our Sponsors barrels.

I see the double hooped wheels, not sure it might tool mark it is only on one wheel outside and does not  go all the way around,

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »
Your right Double D it looks like the one Mike made for me, caught that on my first look. Well it wont stray @ $399.00 for long. My bet is it will top out at approx. $700.00 or so. I Just noticed it was made in 2012 and is #18, so its not that Old.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
Re: Interesting Fleabay find.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
I have figured out what this is but I could be wrong.  http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/Large-Louis-XIV-Cannon~C000012.cfm

http://seagifts.com/louisxivcan1.html

Out of Stock discontinued by this retailer. Originally priced at $288 http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/C000012.htm

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »
Interesting comment about including a "grounding peg".  Guns should recoil freely to reduce stress on the carriage.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
The big problem is not only the pot metal fittings but the wheels are a "wood grained" plastic....... Sorry the only value would be the barrel the carraige is junk....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
The big problem is not only the pot metal fittings but the wheels are a "wood grained" plastic....... Sorry the only value would be the barrel the carraige is junk....

Allen where did you see the wheels are plastic.  They well could be. They look different that the carriage body which is Maple.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
If you look at the enlarged photos the wheels are a casting.  The question would be a casting of what material.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
If you look at the enlarged photos the wheels are a casting.  The question would be a casting of what material.
I have seen one of these in an antique shop the wheels are made of a cheap lite weight plastic I am not impressed by the quality they may actually be blowmolded ...... If I had one as a model to make a mold off of I could cast them in and aluminized resin they would have to be painted but they would hold up to some abuse.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline WindElevation

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
Looks like mold lines on the felloes and spokes. I think Kabar is right, they have a plastic look to them.
He that will not when he may- when he will, he shall have nay.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
Im just going to call this what it is now. Garbage. Im sorry I posted this as a sweet deal. I thought the carriage was all wood even the wheels. I seriously doubt that Axel rod is steel and if it is I doubt it really goes all the way thought the Axel block.  The Axel could be hollow for all I know. This thing really isn't made for a shooter and its a disappointment that the seller didn't say anything about the specifics of this carriage. I apologize and please remove this thread before someone gets duped into this piece of crap.

IM SORRY.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 03:38:08 AM »
Don't be sorry.  I am glad you posted this.  It was a good learning experience.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 05:23:13 AM »
I think any one else reading this thread would be glad also that you posted it.  Especially if they were considering bidding on the gun.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 05:50:57 AM »
This is a good example of buyer beware or be aware of what's out there.....

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »
Nothing to be Sorry for.  It's always interesting to get others take on auction items...  that is how we learn. 
My wife brought home 2 non-firing cannons a while back.  We knew they were just decorators.  One is a smaller scale verison of this with a Spanish twist to it...  wood carriage & wheels.  Would barely hold up as a paper weight, forget firing.  I will turn them over at some point as decorators.   

Offline WindElevation

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
I asked the seller about the wheels. Wheels are resin with metal rim....... Per seller
He that will not when he may- when he will, he shall have nay.

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
 It looks like a Denix carriage made in Spain.  I have experimented with a smaller version of a Denix carriage with a 7.5 inch barrel.  Completely disassembled the carriage and reinforced it all with JB weld and other super glues  to reassemble.  The homemade barrel I tested was firecracker bore size .27 inch.  The wheels are plastic with metal rims.  So far it has worked and held together just fine.  I don,t think I would try any larger bore size or cannon size with this type of carriage.  I have asked Brooks to make me a couple of golden barrels in firecracker size (one parrott and one napolean) to fit my carriage .  It will be mostly for display even though I'm sure it would fire just fine.

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
well there goes my $700.00 estimation, Oh well live and learn.

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
$700.00 estimation?  It has 20 hours to go and it is over$800.00.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
Auction ended with it selling for 925.00! boy is there going to be one disapointed buyer when they get this.........

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
Naw, he got a great Brooks barrel!!!

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
Im not sure what the brooks barrel retails for but I would guess say 300 bucks. The carriage retails for 288.00

Its not to bad of a buy and if the carriage holds up to a .69 caliber cannon its a great little carriage for that barrel.

Nobody could make that carriage for the price even with plastic wheels.

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
The Brooks barrels sell cheap and are worth more than Mike asks. 

I'd sell my Brooks ....but I can assure you not as cheap as that ebay gun.

Offline Legio3arty

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
Wow, almost $1000! I was suprised when it went above $600. Nice barrel and fittings, but the plastic wheels lost my interest early on. I guess that makes me a lot happier about the A&K six-pounder I scooped up off EBay last spring. I'm mostly finished building my carry/display chest for it, but I still need to sort out the stowage for accoutrements, powder, etc.