Author Topic: From a lump of coal to a diamond  (Read 562 times)

Offline Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
From a lump of coal to a diamond
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
 :D So way back in December I got a smokin deal on a used Handi Rifle in 30-06. I was looking for a loaner for my nephews. This rifle looked virtually new. The origional owner claimed he couldn't get it to group and that it was too much gun for his grandson. I took it home and took it apart and discovered the scope base wasn't locktited, the rings were cheap and the scope was suspect. Upgraded everything except the scope. Took it to the range, all over the target no adjusting worth a crap. Replace the scope, added an o-ring and viola, I've got a shooter. Fast forward to this past Sunday afternoon, my youngest nephew shot his first mule deer with it. 60 yard shot with Fusion "Lite" ammo. 30 yard tracking job to a very dead lung shot doe. My nephew commented that the "kick" was much less than what he expected. To say the least I'm tickled with my new loaner and so is my nephew.   

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: From a lump of coal to a diamond
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »
Thank you for helping a young person get involved in the sport of hunting. The youngsters of today are the future of our sport!
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: From a lump of coal to a diamond
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
GREAT story and CONGRATS to the boy on the doe!!!!

Be sure to comment in the post for 2012 tally on H&R shot game!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.