Author Topic: best Handi for coyotes?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: best Handi for coyotes?
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2012, 03:58:42 AM »
I spent a decade one weekend........... :P
Biggest 'yote Ive ever seen here looked to be almost the size of a small female wolf, and may have actually been one; it was a quick view and 3 jumps gone. Ive never been a snap shooter so it would have been no shot for me, but it was only about 30yd.s, so no need for a 'surgical' .223 or 22-250. As an all rounder I like the idea of a 25-06, though. Your local ground and conditions will probably be the determining factor, and where/when you tend to see 'em, unless, as said, you can call. Im usually moving and doing things, so whatever Im carrying would be the tool of the day (thus the 'dance with who ya brung').
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: best Handi for coyotes?
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »
I have a 63# Male I shot in 1979 (my first with the bow) in a full body mount.
A couple years ago I shot a couple in the mid 50# range. One nite 3-4 years ago we took a ride to see a friend or a friends big buck. Well, another guy who happened to drop in to see the deer had big coyote in the bed of his truck. We put it on the scale.... 83 pounds!!!!!
They get good sized here in the no East too!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.