Author Topic: Texas CCW question  (Read 638 times)

Offline Bushwacker

• Trade Count: (0)
Texas CCW question
« on: December 19, 2003, 11:26:08 AM »
If you have a Texas CCW, can you carry a pistol off your body anyplace in the vehicle or does it then, since it is off you body, have to follow the regular rules?  Gracias

Offline williamlayton

Texas CCW question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 01:50:21 AM »
ya can carry it any place ya want as long as it is concealed. It can lay in tha seat beside ya, if it is under atowel or sumthin that will hide it.
btw, doan hafta be jest one either. i carry one on me an a lrger one in tha truck.
remember, ya is responsible if'n it gets took outta tha vehicle. i'm tryin to come up with a solution to securing it real good when its in tha truck an i'm not.
thar are some locking rigs that are available an i'm tryin to make one of those fit sumwhere.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline stxsigman

Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 10:36:03 PM »
Its legal to keep it off of your body in the car while moving or parked. Keep in mind Texas disorderly conduct law though because if someone sees it and is "disturbed" by it you may be in trouble.

Offline tas121

Texas CCW question
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 06:14:50 AM »
The keyword is "Concealed" Carry Weapon License. The law states that it is a defense to prosectution for a person to carry a weapon in plainview while traveling from point A to Point B. Keep in mind that if you stop anywhere between A and B you loose that defense( Ex. stop to take a leak or buy a soda). Best thing to do is keep the weapon concealed that way you are protected by your CCW License. Carrying it concealed might also keep the muzzle of a pistol out of your ear when the officer approaches your vehicle and sees the pistol on your seat. Remember the Officer doesn't know you or that you are a law abiding, honest red blooded AMERICAN. He is only going to see the threat. If you are carrying don't forget to let the officer know and present your CCW with your TX ID as required. It makes things alot easier on everyone. If you wish to look up the law you can find it in the Texas Penal code Chapter 46. Besure to read Sec. 46.02, 46.03, 46.035 and 46.04. These sections should tell you what you want to know.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Texas CCW question
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 08:58:45 AM »
In recent legislative sessions, the language "defense to prosecution"  in regard to the license and the while traveling exemption  have been changed to read " does not apply."  
So the general prohibition does not apply while traveling -a stronger statement than the previous " defense"  As noted though, traveling has never been statutorially defined.  

It is now legal to carry a handgun in a vehicle with sleeping quaters as if in the carrier'[s own residence.  No license needed.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline charlie47

Texas CCW question
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 08:34:54 AM »
I was planning to attend the NRA convention in Vegas. My plans were to go by a southern route, then return home by a northern route. My plans were to spend the night in Wichita, KS before returning. I contacted the states along both routes. An Asst. Attorney General there, also an NRA member told me that if I was stopped in KS., ESPECIALLY Wichita, regardless of my TX CCW I would be arrested. Regardless of his feelings,
which were pro gun, I would be prosecuted. I told him I would probably
avoid he state, he said," at the present time, I don't blame you".

I've said all this so that those of you who travel, have a CCW from your respective states, be sure and check the states you plan to travel through.
I'f your unsure, check the CCW database for each state.

All the statements concerning TX were certainly correct. Bare in mind that TX has a statute that allows you travel between counties and to carry in your vehicle without a CCW permit. You just must be "travelling".
Regards,
charlie47