Author Topic: More Ammo for Golf Ball Cannon Display  (Read 793 times)

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
More Ammo for Golf Ball Cannon Display
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
When I got my first all steel (carriage and barrel) golf ball cannon I realized that it would not fit into my small stainless mortar safe that I keep the rest of my pieces in so onto display mode in my house for the cannon.  I had some painted, cast lead round balls to put with the display, but when I read about the steel golf balls here on GBO I decided to go that route.  I first made two 25 hole plates (5X5) for the bottom layer to make a four sided pyramid (X2) so I did some math and ordered a large order of steel golf balls.  While waiting I thought that I might have made a math error so I took my plates and cut through the middle of one edges row of holes so that both plates would mate together and instead of two pyramids I'd end up with a pyramid rectangle.  Bottom row is 5X9, then 4X8, then 3X7, then 2X6 and finally for the top row 1X5.  It looks awesome and I ended up with 5 extra balls.  I had my son do some machining on the remainder to give me some bar shot for display.

After talking it over with my son and a lot of math I didn't realize that I'd forgotten already,  I decided on one last ammo entry.  The last entry is to be cased shot.  So I knew the bore, I had to do some higher than I realized math to come up with the diameters of three smaller balls that would fit into that larger bore diameter.  So I have the smaller steel balls and will order plain cotton duck canvas, safety wire, threaded rod, and some square nuts.  I'll cut out two bore diameter disks from 11 gauge steel.  It will have a central hole and three finer diameter holes to pass safety wire on both ends.  I have the jigs made to stitch the cotton duck into a tube of correct diameter then the bottom plate will have six pieces of safety wire secured by the square nut on the outside of the plate with the central all thread going straight up.  I'll then layer three balls per level interlocking between levels up to 5 levels total.  The safety wire will rotate between the balls, three going clockwise and the other three going counter clockwise all ending through the top plate's three smaller holes (two wires per hole).  I'll then use my aviation pliers to twist the safety wire to each adjacent hole.  Once that's done, the twister wire will be bent towards the center bolt and be secured by a washer and another square nut.  I have another bore diameter jig that will allow a perfect fit between twisted wire elongation and the top plate and nut's compression.  Once secured it theoretically could be fired, but I'm doing it just for the display purposes.

I've been trying to think of other types of ammo shot out of the original cannon to build miniature replicas for my display, but the pyramid, bar shot, and cased shot are all I can think of so far.  Smithy.

P.S.  Pictures will show when I get all done.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
Re: More Ammo for Golf Ball Cannon Display
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:44:50 AM »
That math stuff slips away when you don't use it, doesn't it?  Is the cased shot standing in for both canister and grape?

I cheated a bit when making a pyramid base for my little 3/4" mortar.  I drew three 3/4" circles in CAD and shuffled them around until they touched nicely, then picked off the center locations and drilled the pockets at those locations in the base plate.  A guy could probably do pretty well with paper cutout circles of the right size too.

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »
I'm not really sure if it's canister or grape?  My son and I just did some rough Google image searches for cased shot and found one that looked build-able.  Interesting thing was with all the pictures we saw, it looked as though each captain asked their troups "How can we shoot a lot of little balls out of this thing?"  and sometime later that was followed by "Go ahead and make it!".  There were so many to chose from.  The one I chose has two steel/wooden plates held together by one common center bolt and square nuts.  The balls were contained in a canvas bag and surrounded by wire between every crack in the balls position.  Once the cage was made over the canvas then the plates were tightened together to smash the balls out to bore diameter.  At least that looks like how it was made?  My son a CNC programmer and machinist gets thrilled in figuring out how something was made and this was his best guess.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »
Civil War period grape shot.  Case shot could mean canister, grape, or shells with balls inside.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA