Author Topic: Windage adjustable rings  (Read 912 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Windage adjustable rings
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:05 AM »
Has anyone tried these or something like them?  For the first time I find myself with a scope centering problem.  The only bases I have found for this rifle are Weaver type.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-rings-mount-sets/scope-rings/windage-adjustable-grand-slam-rings-prod26113.aspx

Thanks,

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: Windage adjustable rings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:22 AM »
I think I would stay away from those rings and get Burris Signature Zee rings with the eccentric inserts which should take care of the problem. That being said it would be helpful to know what rifle you have. The Burris rings will work on weaver bases and will not damage your scope.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:13:31 AM »
I think I would stay away from those rings and get Burris Signature Zee rings with the eccentric inserts which should take care of the problem. That being said it would be helpful to know what rifle you have. The Burris rings will work on weaver bases and will not damage your scope.

I have a Savage Axis, newly purchased.  My first range trip produced excellent groups, but I ran out of adj. on windage.  I came back and pulled a scope off that I knew was good, and dug out my boresighter.  Looks like I have off centered holes for the bases, as this one will not center on the boresighter.

I will check on the Z rings.

Ben

Offline wmdron

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:00:32 AM »
I second the advice to go with Burris signature zee's. You may have to buy the "insert kit" if your scope has a 1" tube, the kit comes with .005, .010, .015 inserts which you can use in combinations to correct the misalignment. I believe the 30mm rings come with these inserts or at least some of them. I have a Remmy 700 that has the same problem I used the Burris rings to correct it.  Ron...

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
Hey Ben!

Tim got me to try the Signature Zee Rings some time back and they are all I buy anymore.  No more worries about ring marks, slippage, crushed tubes...  :P   I really like them!   ;D

The offset inserts are also a big plus.  40 odd years ago I had a problem just like yours.  I got a set of the windage adjustable mounts (Redfield?  Leupold?   ??? ) and they worked fine.  But I've also found 2 broken ones on used rifles I've bought!

So now, like I said, I just use Zee's.  And I'm going to keep a set of the offset inserts on hand, just in case don't cha know!   ;) 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:47:07 AM »
Just got back from a trip to Dick's Sporting Goods in Newnan for a set of the Z's with inserts.  Now I gotta' get this scope on and sighted...hunting tomorrow.

Thanks guys,

Ben

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
I'm with AtlLaw, I keep a set of offset incerts for Burris rings in stock. I've had them for a number of years an have never used them.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »
Well, I had to use tent stakes and bungee cords to keep my target from blowing over at the range.  Even so, I've got about a 1 1/2" group in the area of the bullseye.  I'm going hunting tomorrow!!!

Ben

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 02:25:46 AM »
I have used Signature Zee rings on a few rifles and one one slug rifle that I couldn't get enough elevation to zero I used the offset inserts.  I suspect they might be hard to use to center windage.

On one muzzleloader that had really off center base screw holes I used Warne windage adjustable rings and they took care of the issue very nicely.

Lance

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:24:04 AM »
Isn't Redfield making their mounts anymore?

You would think that if they can make 22 rimfires for little more than a hundred bucks that have the scope rails lined up with the barrel that $500+ rifles could be aligned. I have a Kel Tec SU 16 though where that was apparently too hard. Neither iron sights nor scopes would zero. I sent the rifle back, they had it forever. When they sent it back, they had tweeked the front sight so it was roughly zeroed, but they had done nothing to fix the scope problem.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
I absolutely refuse to use any type of windage adjustable rings. They are the best way possible to put marks on the scope and even to ruin it. Think of it this way:

Your scope tube leaves the factory straight. When installed it needs to stay that way. BUT if you use a windage adjustable ring it can't. Think of how the windage adjustment feature works. It moves the back ring out of alignment with the front yet the front ring has to way to move to align with it so what you have is one ring that fits straight with the tube and one that is pushed at a right angle to it either to left or right.

Burris signature rings solves the problem completely and absolutely will not mark or damage the tube. The plastic inserts have a rounded profile as do the rings they fit in so when you use the offset feature to adjust either windage or elevation the plastic inserts swivel and keep the perfect alignment with scope tube.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »
I absolutely refuse to use any type of windage adjustable rings. They are the best way possible to put marks on the scope and even to ruin it. Think of it this way:

Your scope tube leaves the factory straight. When installed it needs to stay that way. BUT if you use a windage adjustable ring it can't. Think of how the windage adjustment feature works. It moves the back ring out of alignment with the front yet the front ring has to way to move to align with it so what you have is one ring that fits straight with the tube and one that is pushed at a right angle to it either to left or right.

Burris signature rings solves the problem completely and absolutely will not mark or damage the tube. The plastic inserts have a rounded profile as do the rings they fit in so when you use the offset feature to adjust either windage or elevation the plastic inserts swivel and keep the perfect alignment with scope tube.

Yep, they worked great.  Glad I was told about them, or I would have probably gone with the inferior ones.  If my dealer had had a dednutz mount on hand, I could have bent it slightly and lapped the rings...still inferior.  If I ever have this need again, I'll certainly use these.

I was gonna' hunt this morning, but the wind was at 15 -20 mph. gusts.  Both iffy on even seeing a deer, and dangerous hunting under trees....maybe tomorrow.

Ben

Offline FPH

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
I have an old Weaver scope that has no windage or elevation turrets........I have to use adjustable rings.......works great.........I was leery about using them on a large caliber............no problems.

Offline wmdron

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
Just a final note from my experience. I used Burris signature Zee's on a 300 win. mag. and not wanting to over tighten them I didn't get them snug enough. The recoil caused the scope to slide in the rings and you can imagine the effect on accuracy. I wasn't too long figuring this out  ::) and after re tightening everything has been fine. I would say probably it's best to torque them down with a fat wrench etc. if you are using them on a hard hitter.