Author Topic: Another Barrel Swap Question  (Read 430 times)

Offline skkzh

• Trade Count: (0)
Another Barrel Swap Question
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:32:31 AM »
I have searched and read the FAQ and am quite confused.  I have an HR Topper Model 98 - 20ga.  My dad gave me this gun when I was about 9 or 10 years old.  The serial number on the receiver is AS264554.  According to the FAQ, it was manufactured in 1978.  About a year later, he got a 30-30 barrel to go swap out.  It was sold to him by the same gun store that sold him the original 20ga., and told him it was part of a (or the) kit.  The barrel has Topper Model 158 30-30 Win. stamped on it. 

I shot the shotgun barrel many, many times growing up.  I put the 30-30 barrel on the gun and shot it about 1/2 doz. times.  The rifle barrel hasn't been fired in 30 years. 

My question is simply, is this a safe, acceptable configuration or were we mislead those many years ago?

Thanks!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Another Barrel Swap Question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
You should be just fine, If your  hand loader, dont push the envelope and enjoy your rifle shotgun combo!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline skkzh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Another Barrel Swap Question
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
I'm not a handloader, just use factory loads...  So the 30-30 Win barrel is fine on my receiver?  No firing pin issues, etc... like the later model SB1 / SB2 I read about on here.

Thanks!