Author Topic: 7.5 Swiss?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
7.5 Swiss?
« on: February 11, 2004, 04:18:34 PM »
I was looking around at the local sporting goods store today where they sell military surplus rifles.  They have a Schmidt-Rubin K31 in excellent condition.  It has a straight-pull bolt with a large safety ring at the rear.  I've never seen one before, but I like oddball stuff, and this one is in such good shape that I fell in love with it.  Nice finish, no damage except for some dings in the stock, smooth action, no rust or corrosion, excellent sights, clean bore, six-round detachable box magazine.  It looks like it was never issued.  Price is $199.  The manufacturing date would be somewhere between 1931 and 1957, when they stopped making them.  I really want to buy it, but the problem is ammo.  I don't handload, so I can't do anything with it if there's no factory ammo available.

I've been searching around, and so far I've found Norma makes 7.5 Swiss (7.5x55), but it's $35 for a box of 20 (OUCH!).  Old Western Scrounger has some Hornady for $26/box, but I can't find it on Hornady's website, so I don't know if what they have is just a leftover batch or if Hornady is still making it or what.  OWS also has military surplus for $14/box, but it doesn't say if it's the corrosive type, which is too much of a pain to mess with.  So those three is all I can find.  Does anyone know anything about this caliber, any other companies that make ammo for it?  I really want to buy the rifle because it's unique and in beautiful shape, but I need the ammo or I can't shoot it.  Handloading isn't an option at this point in my life (tight budget, small apartment, three kids, etc).
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline jh45gun

7.5 Swiss?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 04:30:04 PM »
Check SOG and Century to see what they have on Hand. Also one of the larger companies that sell reloading stuff may have ammo and I cannot think of the name right now but wiedners seems to ring a bell check them out or Midway? Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline C A Plater

• Avid Poster
  • http://tcbunch.com
    • TCBunch.com
7.5 Swiss?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 02:48:23 AM »
For reloading components try http://www.grafs.com/.  They will be likely to carry brass and loaded factory ammo too.  For surplus ammo, I've used http://www.ammunitionstore.com/index.htm and had good service.

Offline jh45gun

7.5 Swiss?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 04:55:04 AM »
Thanks C A plater you are right it is Grafs.  I knew it was one of those and I posted Weidners and Midway. I am pretty sure that Grafs is selling reloadable ammo for the 7.5 Swiss. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.