Author Topic: Another Handi-holic to be  (Read 415 times)

Offline teleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Another Handi-holic to be
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
Gentlemen
Hi from the Cariboo. I hope this will serve as an introduction as well as some food for comment from my little tale.
I have always been interested in guns and shooting since I was at summer camp where they let us shoot little .22's and arrows at a small range off site. try that nowadays. My Dad was not a hunter and did not own any firearms so I grew up with pellet guns and slingshots. I also remember a friend and I crafting a metal pipe cannon that fired marbles and ball bearings using firecrackers as the propellant. Great fun. I never gave hunting much thought and the closest I got to it was shooting Rats by the chicken coop in Surrey when I lived there. I hated those things so it was easy to do. I didn't think I could pull on a Deer or Moose let alone open up it's Gizzard and start cutting. So,... this year, my friend, an avid hunter and shooter gets open heart surgery before hunting season and cannot shoot. Needless to say he is pissed and grumbling cus he won't get his Moose pies.
So the plan becomes "you guys will have to do the shooting". meaning me or his wife, who actually has a really nice Savage mod 99 30-30. God bless her because she saves the little animals and can't steer the bullets too well. I didn't have a gun so I started kind of looking. Way back in high school when I wasn't smoking the weed or whatever I took the CORE in class  therefore I had a hunter number.
I dropped in one day to my local Fishing and Hunting store, this is a daily routine of mine, all they are missing is a woodstove and a pickle barrel, the BS is thick on the ground, and someone offers me a '45 Lee Enfield .303 Sporter for $150. This rifle was FTR'ed (factory repaired in Liverpool) and has a new barrel. I buy it then and there and armed now with my newly purchased rifle and Licence, off we go.
Turns out the rifle almost aims itself. I took my first Deer, for the cause , so to speak, but ended up enjoying the whole thing. This led to 2 more Deer, a Moose and a Coyote for the group. I ended up being the right place, right time, guy.
 Needless to say I am hooked like a Downtown Junkie pushing around a shopping cart full of cans and bottles saving up for his next fix, which in my case looks like its going to be a Handi 45/70. Most of the chat  in this forum is good news on a Handi.
I need an all around "just in case" gun for camping and fishing up here. There are plenty of Bears and such. I know I can do some damage with the .303 but I would rather just use it for hunting next year.
God knows, someone else may have open heart surgery and need a hand getting the groceries.

Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Re: Another Handi-holic to be
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
That IS pretty much required for admission to the club  ::) 8) and for good reason, it is one of if not THE best of the handis. By the way, welcome to HHA, the more the merrier. Incidentally, there is a subversive sub-group here that you need to watch out for........ they will try to get a few drinks in you, and try to convince you to go  :o RIMLESS........JUST say NO to er...ah... lets see- double negatives...
      Anyway, just find a handi  with a large----VERY large----- or EXTREMELY large hole in the barrel and purchase it forthwith, you will always be glad you did  ;) 8)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
As my fellow addicts mentioned the 45-70 is a great starting point. After a short period on agonizing you can purchase a second, followed by the third and so on
A heartfelt welcome aboard.
the first recommendation is  to get your favorite beverage and settle in to read the FAQ'S at the top of the Handi forum.It is a collection of tips and tricks to make the addiction more palatable.
Good Luck
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
Welcome to grey beard  ;D
Just be careful I never wanted a single shot rifle until I held my .45-70 and now I'm an addict it's my favorite gun I'd take it anyday over my bolt guns and most of my levers(still have a soft spot for my 336 .35 rem)handis are addictive VERY addictive  and +1 on the find a barrel with a big hole and buy it words to live by lol
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
Welcome fellow Handi-holic. I  just joined myself. Already had a couple before I joined, now I have a couple more. It will only get worse. Enjoy the ride!
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Welcome, you'll like it here.
You can't go wrong with a .45-70. For what you have described, you need to look for a Talo Trapper Handi. Not made anymore, but you might locate one in your area. Nice 18 3/4" barrel.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
If you haven't purchased your ticket for admission to Handi-holics yet, Gander Mtn currently has a H&R Handi-Rifle scope combo in most calibers, including the 45-70 for $299.99.  The sales circular shows it with a black synthetic stock.  I think the scope is a 4-12x40 Remington (no name brand) scope.

It's probably the same set up as the Dick's Special (which came with a synthetic camo stock).
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
Welcome teleman.  My first Handi was a .45-70.  If you look at the bottom of my post you'll see what happened to me ::)

Hop on and enjoy the ride.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline teleman

Thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »
Thanks all for your kind words and advice. I'll post some range results, or should it be "fun report" whatever, when I get the beast in my hands.
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.