Author Topic: Improving sidekick  (Read 743 times)

Offline TRL WGN 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Improving sidekick
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:31:35 AM »
So, I have had my sidekick since they were first introduced.  Almost bought a Huntsman then the sidekick came out and I went with it because I wanted the longer barrel at that time, and liked the Stainless.

I have always had issue with 3 things about this gun, even though I have used it year after year to take deer during all the firearm seasons here in Illinois.

1. I have always disliked the goofy breech plug and removal tool-Just got my carrier-less plug last week, so that is being addressed.
2. I have always disliked the goofy ramrod-Hubbard rod is on order and just waiting for Ben to get it sent to me-Looking forward to being able to easily load pointed bullets with my field rod (have always just used a range rod for paper punching sessions.
3. The barrel heavy balance of the 26" barrelled sidekick.  Now, admittedly, it is far from horrible, but it is noticeably barrel heavy and I would like to improve this.  This is why I am here writing the experts. 

Let me say, I am not a big guy (5'6" tall) so having a little less length of pull wouldn't hurt.  Is there a good reccomendation for a butt-stock that would be a little shorter than the original plastic stock, that may help with balance (ie-little heftier)?  Considered going to a pistol grip style, as thought that may improve the leverage my right hand has, but not sure about how well it would work with having to cock the hammer?

Those that have a thumbhole stock, how well do they work with reaching the hammer and balance of the gun?

Just looking to get this baby tuned up and ready for next year's hunt.  Going to try BH209 and some FPB's. 
She has taken 2 does for me so far this year and a 10 pointer and doe last year and many other deer. 
Thanks
Kyle

Offline TRL WGN 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Improving sidekick
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:37:38 AM »
no one has any suggestions?

I guess to make it simple, I am looking for a stock with less length of pull (lop) that may also have some heft to help balance the rifle better

anyone here use the Choate Varmit stock on their sidekick or huntsman?  No a huge fan of how they look but the LOP is adjustable.  Are they lighter or heavier than the original synthetic?

Thanks for any input

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:38:34 AM »
I too bought a new Sidekick when they came out, mine is blue with low comb wood stock set.  I hated it and was going to sell it when I decided to "customize" it for me this year.  I only have it deer hunt with here in IN, and I don't hunt every muzzle loader season so I don't shoot it a lot.  For this reason the standard breech plug works for me.

I am 5'7" so I have the same issue with LOP and the barrel length.  I took mine to the gunsmith and had him make the LOP 13.5" and added a good Limbsaver pad.  He also cut the barrel down to 20.5" and re-crowned.  Now the rifle balances correctly.  I bought a comb rising kit from Beartooth which I like better than the Monte Carlo stock, and I can switch it to my turkey gun this spring.  I cut my ramrod down but I don't have it on the gun, it's a backup at the bottom of my pack.  I carry another solid ramrod for second shots.  I also added a 1 lb of weight in the stock.  I'm shooting the same load but it sure seems to have a lot more recoil than before.  I only hunt 100 yds and in with a muzzle loader, accuracy has not changed since shortening the barrel.  It's MOA of deer for me.

I have a lam thumbhole on the 357 Maxi which I just used during our firearm season.  I like that set up a lot, but I like the stock to match the forend so won't work on the Sidekick.

Hope it helps.  Check out the posts from SlackDaddy.  That's where I got the idea to cut down the barrel. 

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
I have a Sidekick that I made for my kids.
I cut the barrel to 20", took a lam T-hole stock and cut ~1" off of it (then re-attached the butt pad)
Check my last post in this thread http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,267192.0.html
This gun is so balanced it fits like a glove, from my 10 year old up through me (5'-10" 170 lbs)
The T-hole makes a great carry with the cut down barrel, and I can cock the hammer while gripping, not a 2 handed ordeal,, come to think about it, now my 10 y.o. can cock it while keeping his gaze on a deer.
I like it so much I just made a S.S. version. (pics soon)
Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net