Author Topic: Portable ground blinds  (Read 790 times)

Offline CrusteeRusty

• Trade Count: (0)
Portable ground blinds
« on: January 28, 2004, 08:06:40 AM »
Hey Guys..

Any of you use these things?  I hear mixed responses about them.   I'm getting a bit old to be climbing and the portable blinds seem to be the ticket.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Offline qweeksdraw

Portable ground blinds
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:38:51 AM »
Rusty
If your to old or not sure of yourself in a treestand then a pop up is the ticket for you.  Weigh it out. 1 you could be hunting, or you could be at home not hunting and doing honey do crap.  Remember!  You can't killem if your on the couch.  I vote you get one. Dog house 360 with zip out floor.

3shotz1hol2u
qweekdraw

Offline whitecloud

Portable ground blinds
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 07:58:14 AM »
They nice but take some getting used to.Take some time to practice collasping it down.I pickep up a big one for $60.00 on sale,scent stopper,shoot thru mesh,huge door,plenty of windows.Its get varment hunting,outof the cold winds!!!! will fit three guys.

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
Portable ground blinds
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 06:14:50 AM »
I bought one last year but did not use it, but a fellow hunting on the lease next to ours uses them and loves them he just suggested set it up and brush it up some to help conceal it. Say they are warm and dry and easy to relocate. I have some area's on my lease that there are not any trees big enough for a treestand so I plan on using it in those spots.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Portable ground blinds
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 09:34:46 AM »
CrusteeRusty
A friend of mine would use an old port-a-john the he modified and just leaves it on the farm. he would use a 4 wheeler to pull it to his hunting location.

I also have plains to make one out PVC pipe I send them to you if you would like.

Offline 209x50

Portable ground blinds
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 12:47:58 PM »
I used a pop-up for the 1st time this year...it is GREAT.  When the wind picked up and the freezing rain started, I got out of my tree and got into my blind....nice a cozy, big lawn chair....almost fell asleep!! until I saw a big 10 point and shot him after only 2 hours in the blind (35 yards).  They are almost invisible in the bush from 50 yards.  GET ONE !!!

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Portable ground blinds
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 04:13:05 PM »
I used one  a few times. They are great.  I have noticed the turkeys will walk right up to it and not be bothered. Deer however seem o stare at it. Other peoplwe have told me this too. I think it would be ok if you leave it out in the woods a week or so.

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
Portable ground blinds
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 06:27:17 AM »
I don't have the tent kind but for turkey hunting I made a portable wall blind out of dome tent poles and camo netting. Works great. for deer hunting I make stationary ground blinds out of fallen branches and tall grass. Got the biggest buck I've ever shot out of one this year. These are the best ground blinds because they are all natural and blend right in.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline grrdt

Portable ground blinds
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 02:59:11 PM »
Ive never used one but would like to . I keep planning on buying one but never do.  maybe if rickyp would give us directions for makingone from p.v.c. I could trie one outhint hint

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Portable ground blinds
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 02:38:33 PM »
:D My buddy has a big one . We both sat in it for turkey hunting last spring. it was warm and kept you dry. Plenty spacious for chairs. Deer walked right by and weren't bothered. I think you can find them pretty inexpensive now. His blind was easy to carry, it was the 8 turkey decoys and chairs that got a bit bulky.