Author Topic: Cajun Pawn Stars: Colfax Massacre-Mills cannon  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Cajun Pawn Stars: Colfax Massacre-Mills cannon
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »
Cajun Pawns Stars http://www.history.com/shows/cajun-pawn-stars/videos/playlists/full-episodes#cajun-pawn-stars-mumbo-gumbo

On the show they have a cannon that they say was the  cannon used in the  Colfax Massacre in 1873.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colfax_massacre.  Not a very sterling part of our history, but history none the less.

Cannon is described as a Mills cannon made in 1840 in  New Orleans.  The Wikipedia article describes the cannon used in the Massacre as a 4 pounder firing Iron slugs.

So what do  think guys?

Is this the Colfax Massacre Cannon?

Is this a Mills  Cannon?

Was there a Mills cannon?

What is this really?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Cajun Pawn Stars: Colfax Massacre-Mills cannon
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
By the looks of it the carriage and wheels are more modern replacements, I find it difficult to believe this was made in 1840 the lines don't look right it looks like something made up by someone who thought they knew what a cannon looked like and went from there..... trunnion ring is rather err.... robust to say the least......makes the whole thing look clunky.... is there a written history on the massacre? perhaps somewhere there is a better detailed discription.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »
I don't know, my antennae are vibrating here, something's not kosher about the history claimed for this cannon.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »
Someone should check with the Civil War Guru, he would certainly know.  ;D

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:41:23 AM »
Square-tubing for the carriage?  The wheels are bizzare-- the S-curve thing was done to cast pulley wheels to avoid some shrink problems, but those aren't cast and there are too many spokes to begin with.

Then again, I heard one of the Pawn/Storage/Whatever "Reality" guys is suing saying the whole thing is fixed anyway.. who knew?

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:48:22 AM »
The wheels appear to be machinery drive belt wheels.
Max

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:38:21 AM »
Gents, I find the entire carriage thing the most credible part.  Look at some of the stuff folks come up with here to build a carriage for a barrel they got.   I'll bet  Cannonmn has seen any number of old barrels on cobble up carriages.

What about the barrel?

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »
I agree that the carriage is something made up in more recent times.  The big question is the barrel.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
Someone should check with the Civil War Guru, he would certainly know.  ;D

I can hear the Guru now: Highly desirable collectible, airtight provenance, one of a kind historic artifact, my estimate on this piece, $25,000.00.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »
So has any one ever heard of the  Mills cannon works in  New Orleans?

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 07:39:06 AM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2003/07/rubin.htm
This article may add some info on the cannon.

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
Sad part of our history for sure.

More conjecture about the cannon also

"And they got a two-pound cannon and brought it down on a boat, the first ironclad ship ever to sail on the Red River.

Wikipedia says 4 Pdr.  From size of the bore compared to a mans hand it looks closer to 4 inch or in the range of an 6 Pdr or slightly larger

"Ben Littlepage up there still has that cannon, sittin' on his front lawn."

Ben is the old gentleman in the TV show.

"...and with a little twenty-four inch cannon (sent to the white people by Capt. Bill Boardman, owner and captain of the large steel hull steam-boat W.F. Moore,)..."

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
Very interesting article.  The description of the cannon in the article seems to fit the photos shown here as far as the barrel is concerned.  I think the carriage however is from a more modern time.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
After reading the artical I am thinking the dating of the little cannon to the 1840's was by people who did not know artillery to inhance their story.... and made up a date.... as to where it was made who knows..... there were many foundries by it's style it could have been made in the late 1860's or early 70's probably a gerneric gun that could be used by veterns groups or as a signal gun.... carraige looks later are the cheeks and frame welded or riveted?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »
There is little question the carriage is an add on.  It's the barrel that is question mark.  What is it?  I just have a funny feeling  this thing is real.

I like saying stuff like because folks really go  to work to prove me wrong.  I don't mind being wrong if we get the right answer.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
As far as the "robust" Trunnion Ring...I have seen such as this, in fact, a  friend of mine has a Spanish cannon with a rather "Robust-er" Trunnion Ring even than this one. And didn't the "Screw Gun"  have just such a Trunnion Ring? Had to be "ROBUST" to insure the two halves would stay together....Just wondering.....
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!