Author Topic: Question on the "Rope"  (Read 614 times)

Offline kaboom

• Trade Count: (0)
Question on the "Rope"
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
While looking at youtube videos on carriage ideas I came across one that was very good.  But in it he makes a statement about the rope on the trail.  Then says, "not sure what it is for but here is the rope".  I have myself have wondered what the rope is for and so does everyone who sees my cannon askes too.

So?  What is the rope for?

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Question on the "Rope"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
The prolonge is a length of heavy rope with a ring at one end and a toggle at the other. The prolonge is used to loosely attach the gun to the limber, as when firing while slowly retreating, or for other towing jobs.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
The prolonge was also used for slinging a piece (gun) to a limber, for righting carriages when upset, and various other purposes, such as changing wheels.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
This thread contains some photos of a prolonge fashioned by "Artificer Tom." The prolonge has a toggle at one end, and a hook at the other, with two rings secured to the rope between.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,259684.msg1099536645.html

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:48 AM »
It was also used when mounting the tube to or dismounting the tube from the carriage.  Such use is described in one of the manuals, forget which one.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
      A significant and critically important use of the Prolong occurred during the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg.  Union General Gouverneur Kemble Warren, Army Commander Mead’s Chief Engineer, spotted elements of CSA General John Bell Hood’s command south and a bit west of Little Round Top at the extreme southern end of the Union line.  Realizing that Hood’s men were massing in order to attack, he sent out urgent requests for all available troops to occupy and hold Little Round top.

Lt. Hazlett’s artillery was among the first units to arrive and they began the arduous task of pulling and pushing two heavy Parrott 10 Pdr. rifles to the summit.  General Warren was a combat engineer in every sense of that term, he even lent his shoulder to the wheel of a Parrott field piece while most artillerymen assigned to the piece pulled hard on the prolong hooked to the lunette ring and two others wrapped the other end around a tree to anchor it as it inched up the steep hill.

Lt. Hazlett died that day trying to hear the last words of his friend, Brigadier General Stephen Weed (Battery Weed was built to defend the narrows from Staten Island across from Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, NY) who was mortally wounded during the bitter fighting that day.  Weed’s brigade rushed to the defense of that critical hilltop and helped enormously in the vicious battle that followed.  Night brought a close to the fighting and was a relief to those on both sides.  The Union line held as Hood’s troops withdrew.

Now you know a historical use of the "rope".

Mike and Tracy

Gen. Warren's bronze statue on the heights of Little Round Top.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling