Author Topic: Handi Rifle in .22 Hornet accuracy ??  (Read 1727 times)

Offline 41 magnum

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
Handi Rifle in .22 Hornet accuracy ??
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
Anyone have first hand knowledge if they are accurate outta the box?

Thanks

John
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS

Maker of trappers tools and gear, have an idea?  Let's talk !

Offline Brian P.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Handi Rifle in .22 Hornet accuracy ??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
That would be an issue primarily of the rifling.  I can say my 1/9 223 can put 10 cold shots into 1.25" at 100yrds.  I load mine with SR-4759 and Hornady 45gr hornet bullets to the 2800-3000fps range.  I also use H4895 and Speer 70gr soft points at 3000fps for the deer season.  The scope has to be adjusted but the bullets follow the exact same trajectory which I think is pretty neat :)  Military brass is cheap and tough as nails compared to hornet brass, too.  Just my $0.02
I ALMOST got the hornet myself, until I did some researching on reduced 223 loads.
Lead me not into temptation but point me to it instead.

Offline 41 magnum

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »
I, too, would down load 223 ammo, BUT, my buddy asked me, so he must have a chance at a purchase.

I knew with all these great folks, someone has the answer...........

Thanks

Offline Brian P.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
If set on the cartridge I would certainly go for a handi in 22 hornet.  My best groups at reduced (22AH - 218 Bee range) were with the hornady 45 gr hornet.  The 34gr dogtowns (I think they're called - the ones from Midway) were super accurate as well but I wanted a heavier bullet for coyotes.  The 55gr dogtowns were almost as good as the hornady's.  The 46gr Winchester has an awesome looking hp but didn't group well in my gun. 
I would certainly try one out. Also, my hornet shooting friends universally recommend using a LIGHT crimp using a LFC die.

Lead me not into temptation but point me to it instead.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »
I bought a barrel here, an ejector so it is older. Tried it on 3 frames, the 3rd fit fine. A few test loads and it was doing about 1 1/4 at 75 yards. Tried it on a 410 shotgun frame. It fit perfectly. Tried the same load, 5/8 to 3/4 " at the same distance. Needless to say it stayed on the shotgun frame. You should be able to get an inch or better w/ good loads @ 100 yds.

PS: My load is with the "Dogtown 34gr bullets mentioned aove over 11.0 gr of IMR 4227.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline RustyReel

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
I bought mine used on one of the auction sites.  Shot it last week, 55 gr. Hornady SP (the cheapie bulk ones that sell for about $88/1000) pushed by a bit of H110.  Shot 5/8" groups at 50 yds, no problem.  Picked up some 40 grainers to try but have not had a chance to do it as of yet.  I can't complain about the accuracy with the 55 Hornadys.....better than my two 223's and my 22-250 Handis. 

I also took the barrel off the SB2 frame it came with and put it on a shotgun frame, old 490 Topper Jr. frame.  I'm keepin it there.
22 Hornet -- 223 --  30/30 -- 44 Mag --  -  45/70  --  BC -- 500 S&W

Offline 41 magnum

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:49:22 PM »
That would be an issue primarily of the rifling. 

Are you saying they come with rifling options?----oh brother.......

Offline mo_bio

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
Have a stainless bull barrel and it has 3 loads (so far) that will shoot under 1" at 100 if I do my part. It is my most accurate handi or it may be tied with my HR2. I love shooting it. Loading for it, not so much.
Handis: .17 mach2 (x2), .22 lr, 22 hornet, .22 jet, .223, .243, .270, .280, .357 max (x2), 35 remington, 35 whelen, 45-70, 445sm, 30-30, 410, 500 S&W, 50 AK

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if
necessary."-- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »

The first Topper barrels in Hornet are said to be 1 in 16", next came Toppers in my barrel which is 1 in 12" and now they are had in a 1 in 9" twist.   
Does anybody know what twist the first Hornets of 80 years ago had?

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
I bought a barrel here, an ejector so it is older. Tried it on 3 frames, the 3rd fit fine. A few test loads and it was doing about 1 1/4 at 75 yards. Tried it on a 410 shotgun frame. It fit perfectly. Tried the same load, 5/8 to 3/4 " at the same distance. Needless to say it stayed on the shotgun frame. You should be able to get an inch or better w/ good loads @ 100 yds.

PS: My load is with the "Dogtown 34gr bullets mentioned aove over 11.0 gr of IMR 4227.

What do think made the difference, better, lighter trigger pull with the other frame?

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 01:02:25 AM »

The first Topper barrels in Hornet are said to be 1 in 16", next came Toppers in my barrel which is 1 in 12" and now they are had in a 1 in 9" twist.   
Does anybody know what twist the first Hornets of 80 years ago had?
  my old winny mod 70 has 1:16 

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 03:29:21 AM »
Mine is a 1-12 twist also, but as to why the shotgun frame just shot so much better I cannot say. All I did was to swap frames, nothing else/ The trigger is about the same, the frame is case hardened and has the schnabel forend,  no modification. :) Sometimes even blind hogs find acorns.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »

All H&R twist rates are in the FAQs sticky, no you don't have an option, they aren't even made any more, H&R discontinued the Hornet. :(  Vintage barrels were 1:16", they changed to 1:12" sometime in the mid '80s then to 1:9" in ~2007.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 06:01:13 AM »
I swapped stocks to Lams, Installed a Leupold scope and installed a Wollfe spring and shot it...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:59 AM »
here's mine witha simmons wtc, right outtha box............ 8)
sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 06:53:55 AM »
Hey Doc, what primer did you use to set them off?

Offline gendoc

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 06:58:22 AM »
standby a lil'bit an i'll tellya ;)
sea-ya.....

Offline gendoc

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »
Hey Doc, what primer did you use to set them off?

ok BV,  handi hornet likes tha  cci 450 msr primers....... ;D
sea-ya.....

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
Figures :(  Don't have much in the mag primer dept. Will look next time I go.
That would be a fine group if you could bring the bottom two up a tad ;D 
Thanks for lookin ;)

Offline gendoc

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 07:40:18 AM »
try it with what you have....j3 hasa hornet handi and it'll shoot evathang jus fine, long as tha COL and
propel-mix is close. he takes crows from tha back porch off maw-maw's sweet corn @ 94yrds.
an sumtimes a few other critters if need be ;D
sea-ya.....

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 06:21:34 PM »

Thanks partner! I never even thought to try our Hornets on our .410 Tamer frames... the Tamer frame can handle Hornet pressure no problem... we use these Hornets alot for impromptu predator hunting when we are out for small game... so it would be ideal if they function well on the Tamer frames... I'll give it a try.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 04:47:46 AM »

Thanks partner! I never even thought to try our Hornets on our .410 Tamer frames... the Tamer frame can handle Hornet pressure no problem... we use these Hornets alot for impromptu predator hunting when we are out for small game... so it would be ideal if they function well on the Tamer frames... I'll give it a try.
Well I tried our .22 Hornet barrels out on our Tamer .410's... they fit perfectly... nice and tight, no wiggle or slop and full latch engagement... the Tamer stock feels a little weird with our scoped barrels, but the weld is not too bad.... small price to pay for the incredible convenience... these .410 & Hornet combo's will work really well for the type of hunting that we do alot of... now to get to the range to sight in and work on accuracy... with any luck our pet loads will still be good to go. Also very sweet is that the Tamer .410 and scoped Hornet barrel fits into a Plano Pro Take-Down case... very light and compact (we have two sets, for son and I).  :)
http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=118&PID=879
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »
The one I had, IIRC, was a 1:12; it shot consistent 3/10" groups at 50yd. (my home range limit for paper) with 40gr. bulk (Remmy?) JHP handloads and hit were it was looking in the 'field test' next door (you know, pick a spot and blow it, if you do your part as a shooter).
I did nothing to the rifle, not even an o-ring, just cleaned the barrel, made a book load about 10% under top for whatever powder I had and went shooting. After about 50rds plinking and getting acquainted I shot paper.
Then it was boringly accurate so I sold it..........(well, I had two other Hornets; a 223 would have been a better option for me for various load level experiments).
As to 'out of the box'? Mine was good, yours could be bad, or somewhere in between. Its all speculatin' until you try whatever comes home.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974