Author Topic: New To this forum but not to Muzzle loading need some help  (Read 418 times)

Offline BlackCat

• Trade Count: (0)
New To this forum but not to Muzzle loading need some help
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:07:58 AM »
Hi everyone
I'm new here but not to black powder. Im intrested in buying a cannon perhaps a Parrot or a howitzer to start maybe a 1" er or a mini ball 69 cal.

Do you have any info on buying one and what is a good price I like the Seacoast one but their no price their and that scares me.

PM me or reply thanks Jay

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New To this forum but not to Muzzle loading need some help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:07:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Blackcat! Check out our stickies at the top of the page for dealers, supplies, and lots of helpful hints and tips...or just wait a minute for all the responses to your post! You came to the right place for the latest and greatest info on Cannon, Mortar, and Howitzer shooting and building around! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »
I like the Seacoast Guns also.  But even with my Zero percent senior Citizen discount I still can't afford them.  Doesn't mean we can't look at them and learn.

First tell us what you want to do with this gun.  Yard ornament, make noise shoot targets? 

Next look at the stickies at the top of the forum.  Start this one GBO BPM&C Sponsors This post contains the list and links to our sponsors.  I have something from each of them and can highly recommend them- yes even Seacoast their one and only mass produced limited edition firecracker cannon..  They pay the bills here and they get preference in my recommendations.  If they weren't sponsors I still would still recommend them.     

Drop them an email and see what the can do for you.

Next got to the Blackpowder Cannons links list.  That list leads of agan with our sponsors, but is followed a list cannon sellers.  Look them over. If you see something you like make a post about it here and we will help you evaluate it. 

I also suggest you look at the safe loads and construction sticky as it will give you some idea have an cannon should be safely shot and constructed.

If you see a cannon on the net that doesn't meet these building standards or shoots loads exceeding the suggestion in this post, let that serve as a warning bell that somthinge may not be right.  Ask here before you spend your money. 

Offline BlackCat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
Hay DD
Thanks for the input i had checked out the sponsor but i'm waiting on a reply from 1 of them I like my cannon to be to scale because i'll be in compitation with my friends cannon.
And  i want it to look correct i looking for both noise and accurancy

Thanks Jay

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
What scale do you want to work to?

Be sure when you talk to the cannon makers you be very clear about your expectations.

Sponsor HMR is the only one of our sponsors currently offering field carriage.  He is currently building me a 1/5 scale version of the 8 inch Siege howitzer that will shoot golf ball size projectiles.

One person I will point you to who use to be a sponsor and I wish he would return is Rick Neff http://neffcannons.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page.  Here is his 1/3 scale Parrot gun page.  http://neffcannons.com/gallery/v/neffcannons/parrott/