Author Topic: Help decipher weathered markings on Treadwell 6-pounder gun  (Read 594 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Help decipher weathered markings on Treadwell 6-pounder gun
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »
For anyone who may be able to pull out the marks from the 6-pounder Treadwell gun, here's the link to my PB album (sorry Allen!) of pix taken for the purpose of deciphering the marks.  Marks on Treadwell 32-pounders at the Washington Navy Yard, as I recall, include date 1844, "INVENTOR DANIEL TREADWELL" and a single-digit gun number.  Apparently no other Treadwell experimental iron and steel 6-pounders survive for comparison.  I'm posting this here now becaue another member mentioned how he could bring out hidden markings with some feature in Photoshop, which I don't have on my 'puter.
FYI this tube is about five feet long and weighs around 800 lbs.  It has, by design, the same basic profile as the US M1841 6-pounder, which I'm sure the inventor hoped it would replace when the superiority of his design was proven.

You must use the password "attack" to view the album, which continues for four pages, with many dozens of high-res images:
http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums64/?start=0

Offline NinjaToes

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help decipher weathered markings on Treadwell 6-pounder gun
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
I'll give them a go with photoshop and see what I come up with.
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
Do you know where the marks were placed on the 32 pounders?  As the sixes were made before them, they might be similarly located.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:37:16 AM »
Thanks.  The largest area of marks on the 32's is immediately behind the trunnion band (Daniel Treadwell Inventor etc) then the gun number is on the upper left of the basering.  I was trying to post a series of sharp, closeup pix of those 32's and their marks but Photobucket is throwing one of its little, infrequent  tantrums right now ("Trust Error"), will have to do it tonite.

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:10:07 AM »
That might help, although those marks are so gone I think it's going to be tough to pull much out.  Funny how not even Treadwell can remember if he made 6 or 8 six-pounders a few years later in one of his treatises..

(by coincidence I live on Treadwell street, so I have an odd interest in his guns...)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »
Here are a whole bunch of pix of the Treadwell 32's at the Wash Navy Yard, in PB's slideshow format.  You mouse over the lower part of screen to get the controls to show up, to stop, start, etc.  I don't think a PW is required but if so it is "attack."
http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums64/Treadwell%20guns%20at%20WNY/?albumview=slideshow
I know there are magnetic techniques the FBI uses to retrieve filed-off gun serial numbers and if I could "try that at home" I would.  Perhaps some generous institution would do it for the educational benefit?  If you know anyone who can do that stuff please give me a POC?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »
John,

You are just up the road from the  FBI academy, why don't you contact them and see if the might take it on as a training project.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
Good idea, I see their reps somewhat reglarly when they show up at the warehouse to check into another report of "suspected terrorist activity" there.