Author Topic: Easy reduced load formula from AA Powder Company  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Easy reduced load formula from AA Powder Company
« on: February 17, 2004, 08:17:18 AM »
I just got this formula from David Kimble at www.accuratepowder.com for reduced loads using AA XMP 5744 Powder, also very useful for figuring starting loads for cast bullets in any caliber rifle.

First determine where the base of your bullet will be seated in the cartridge.
Fill the cartridge to this point with XMP 5744.
Weigh the total powder in grains
Multiply by .4 with a calculator...this total will give you 40% case capacity and a safe reduced load in your firearm.

For example, my Whelen Improved holds 56.5 grs of 5744 to the base of the shoulder where I will be seating 210 gr cast bullets, multiplied by .4, gives me 22.6 grs of powder...

David is very interested in promoting beginners to learn to shoot without becoming re-coil shy. These kind of loads are excellent if you wanted to take your wife or teen-ager to learn to shoot. They could actually have FUN going to the range with us, instead of being 'punished' with full power loads and never going back again. Also, reduced loads can turn your Ultra-Mega-Macho-pain-inducing-Magnum into a realistic meat-getter for whitetails without destroying 40% of the meat.
....make it count

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Easy reduced load formula from AA Powder Co
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 12:55:06 PM »
Robert

Just so I don't go making assumptions, is that 40% volume of 5744 the powder you are using in the load??
I guess you can see I'm easily confused.  :oops:
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Robert

Yup
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 03:00:23 PM »
40% of of the full volume that it would take to fill to the base of the bullet.
....make it count

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
40% to 50%
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 08:39:26 AM »
I send a similar question to Hodgdon Powder asking about reloading for a 7.62x54R Russian cartridge for an MN 1891/30.

What follows was my question and a response from Phil Hodgdon.

>>Now, I am looking at load the 7.62x54 R with some 115 grain
>>cast bullets at a reduced load.  I have H4895, Universal Clays,
>>and Titegroup powders at home.
>>With cast bullets, I don't want the speed that your
>>Youth 60% rule H4895 would likely provide.  
>>
>>Any cast bullet suggestions?

>>Use a 50% case full of H4895.  That will give you a
>>nice lower velocity cast bullet load.
>>Thanks,
>>Phil Hodgdon

Based on some experimentation this seems to work OK for heavy 155 to 175 grain, gas checked bullets, but is too fast for 115 grain, lead based bullets.  

Actually, I have become a bit facinated with the Lee "bullet hardness in PSI versus powder case pressure" loading theory in his reloading book.  Those values also seem to work pretty well for me.  That is another "formula" that one may wish to consider in reloading cast bullets.

Offline Mike C

• http://mattbeltonoutfitters.com
AA5744
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 02:21:52 AM »
I use 5744 for reduced loads in the .416 Rigby with excellent results.  5744 was designed for a smokeless substitute in big black powder cases like the 50-140 Sharps.    Hodgdons 60% rule only applies to those cartridges where 4895 is recomended in regular loads.

In the .416 I tried a few powders in reduced loads but got poor accuracy and hangfires where there was a almost 1 second delay!   My Rigby is a lot of fun with a 300 gr cast gas checked bullet @ 2000fps, it will shoot into less than an inch all day long at 100yd's.

Mike C