Author Topic: rem 700 .243 stuck boresnake BAD  (Read 1896 times)

Offline piero

• Trade Count: (0)
rem 700 .243 stuck boresnake BAD
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:46:58 PM »
Hay, yall, I just bought a used rem 700 .243 and while cleaning, the boresnake I was using caught on a burr or something and knotted up inside the chamber.  Hoppe's says if it kinks up, there's nothing you can do but pull harder.  Bad idea.  The string snapped and now the end is 5" inside the muzzle with one brush still attached, and the other end has a tight knot in the chamber.  I tried pushing with a rod, no dice, then I tried what I heard on another forum which is gently screw a woodscrew with a string on it into the knot and pull, the string snapped.  I have no idea what to do except send it to remington.  Will they even take it?  There are no gunsmiths around here to my knoledge.  Someone PLEASE HELP!  thanks. 

Offline GEMSTATE

Offline shot1

Re: rem 700 .243 stuck boresnake BAD
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »
Brass rod and BIG hammer. Soak the bore with KROIL oil 8 hrs or so. Put the action in a vice  and insert the rod in the bore and tap with the hammer.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:27:29 AM »
Hopefully the snake in the 243 bore won't be as bad as the 17hmr cited by GEMSTATE, Hoppe's damaged the barrel getting it out and ended up replacing the rifle.  :-\

Tim

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72147&highlight=boresnake+part+4
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline piero

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
I got it out!  I tried the wood screw one last time exept with some 360lb trot line and get this, a dune buggie!  lol  I tied it to the dune buggie and pulled it out enough to grab it with vice grips.  It didn't seem to have scratched the bore or chamber as I was very carefull.  Now I need a new cleaning rod and a bolt stop spring and oh yeah, ammo!  I can't wait to see how she shoots and to work up some handloads.  Thanks yall for the quick response!

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »
Glad you got it out!    Even after following directions on kit, I managed to get an Otis pull thru stuck in an $$$ Winchester antique.  Sweated bullets pulling it out..bent brass rod-handle double in pulling...Never again!

Offline piero

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
update!  As it turns out, I did scratch the chamber but it doesn't seem to affect it any.  No signs of pressure, no *more* stuck cases after cycling empties about 100 times, and no problems with accuracy.  Shoots about 1moa at 50 yards.  Gonna post another thread about barrel wear in the .243...

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
Hope it works out, had to be pretty upsetting on a new rifle.   Hope you learned something from it.

Adds yet another example to why I would never have been caught dead with a bore snake for any of my firearms.

Use 'em if you trust them.   I don't, nor do I care to debate it - I am NOT convertable.   They are not for me, never will be.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline magnum76

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »
I have a TC Venture in .243.

Thought I was doing right with my cats-ass boresnake...

After two woodchuck excursions I decided to clean the rifle the right way, WOW was it dirty and fouled.  Took about 2 hours to clean properly.

Boresnakes are junk.  They don't clean as advertised.

Fortunately for me, I called Hoppe's and told them the situation.  I sent back my .30, .243/6mm and .22 boresnakes.  In return I got a deluxe cleaning kit, solvent, copper solvent, brushes and patches.  At least Hoppe's took care of me !

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 05:13:39 AM »
 I like and use Bore Snakes, but only for cursory cleaning, i.e., between group testing hand loads or at camp after a rain ( although I usually put electrician tape over the muzzle) I do agree, that it takes a good rod/brush/the right solvent/patches to properly clean a bore. I just don't see the need to clean that thoroughly that often. I use EezOx spray on the bore snake and have never had a rust problem in between major cleanings. As a kid, growing up poor, my 'cleaning kit" was a length of nylon trotline, a lead weight on one end and a loop on the other for a piece of flannel soaked with "3 In One" oil. Later on in life, it was "WD 40". Of course, a box of 30-30 ammo lasted a couple years, ha.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
I hear you Rev Jim.  I was an adult before I ever knew there was anything but 3N1 oil.  Made thinks shine on the outside and worked well in shotguns, which all I had back then.  Even electric motors and mom's kitchen appliances had to be oiled.  No sealed bearings then.  I still use the stuff sometimes after a good cleaning. 

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »
I can still see my dad's little can of 3 in 1 oil with the Shell logo.  Have some now but it says Ace Hardware.  Wonder if there is a 3N1 formula or if any oil can be sold as 3 in 1 oil.