Author Topic: 44 Mag throat/bullet question  (Read 646 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
44 Mag throat/bullet question
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
How long is the throat of the 44 mag (I have a trapper barrel)? Can I load a 300 grain Sierra or load a 300 grain Hornady to the rear crimp grove?  Thanks for the help.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: 44 Mag throat/bullet question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
Have you dropped a bullet in chamber and used you calipers to measure from breach face to bottom of bullet to see what overall length will get bullet out to rifling.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »
As of now I have no 44 mag bullets on hand.  I am getting ready to order and was curious if anyone has looked at the 44 mag throat length.  It may not determine which bullet I order, but I am curious.  Frankly, I will likely stick with the 240 grainers.  If I want to shoot 300 grain bullets I'll use my 45-70.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:30 AM »
When I had mine I could load and shoot the 300 xtp's but never tried sierra 300, but I have shot them in a Marlin 1894 and I can say they do not expand at all, at least shot into dirt and bowling pins.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
I posted wrong I was shooting 45 LC in a M-92
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:01:31 PM »

To measure the throat you can also load one of your bullets backward in a lightly resized case with no powder or primer and slide it into the chamber. See how far into the case the bullet slides.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:45 AM »
I have a circa 2007 standard 22" 44 Magnum barrel. A Hornady 300 XTP in the rear groove sets just off the rifling in mine. It makes the OAL about half way between the 44 Mag and the 445 Super Mag. I have not tried a Sierra Bullet to see how they seat.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:28:20 AM »
If they didnt chamber up you could trim a few cases back to the length that would and dedicate them to those bullets, or maybe just use 44Spl cases. Your choice of powder could be 'tuned' to get the velo you want, within spec, of course.
Or, forget the crimp groove; its a single shot; seat the bullet where you want and the case neck tension is going to hold it there (unless you can pull it out by hand). Single shot target shooters (you know, the guys that the score matters) rarely crimp.
As to anyone else's chamber measurements, they mean nothing as regards yours.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:25:51 AM »
If they didnt chamber up you could trim a few cases back to the length that would and dedicate them to those bullets, or maybe just use 44Spl cases. Your choice of powder could be 'tuned' to get the velo you want, within spec, of course.
Or, forget the crimp groove; its a single shot; seat the bullet where you want and the case neck tension is going to hold it there (unless you can pull it out by hand). Single shot target shooters (you know, the guys that the score matters) rarely crimp.
As to anyone else's chamber measurements, they mean nothing as regards yours.

I do not crimp for my Handi 44, it just so happens that when seating a 300 grain XTP against the rifling, the case mouth falls in the bottom groove. Of course this may not apply your rifle, but it does mine. You have to measure it to be sure. There are several methods, but the one I used was an old case that is split down two sides with a fine toothed hack saw and pinched together just enough to hold a bullet. There is enough friction there to push the bullet into the case and hold it there when you pull the case and bullet out to measure the OAL.

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.