Author Topic: Homeland defense for the common man?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Homeland defense for the common man?
« on: February 24, 2004, 07:46:20 AM »
We've all seen the videos of the terrorists training to wreak havoc on American soil, which they are obviously dedicated to doing.  But every so often the government posts yet another color-coded terrorism alert without really telling us what to expect or why they expect an attack or what we should do about it if it happens (except to lock yourself in the house and hide like a scared rabbit).  Then nothing happens and it's forgotten until the next alert.  

What good is all this to the average American citizen?  I've often pondered what the common man could do to prepare for homeland defense, besides just keeping a gun in the house.  I've heard about some people joining local militias, but those are usually radical fringe-groups that are anti-government, anti-law enforcement, and anti-whatever-else-you-can-think-of.  They're more of a problem than a solution.  Then I found an interesting website (link below).  Anyone care to post your opinion about it?  Take a few minutes to read the whole thing before you make up your mind, including the links to the "open letter to terrorists", the "rifle evaluations", and especially "That's what I'm talking about!"  I found it all very interesting and I'd like to know what you think.  Keep in mind that the whole thing is approached with a sense of humor as well.

Preparation for the common man

(Good sound effects, by the way. :mrgreen: )
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Homeland defense for the common man?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 08:06:41 AM »
Quote from: Squirrelsaurus Rex
We've all seen the videos of the terrorists training to wreak havoc on American soil, which they are obviously dedicated to doing.  But every so often the government posts yet another color-coded terrorism alert without really telling us what to expect or why they expect an attack or what we should do about it if it happens (except to lock yourself in the house and hide like a scared rabbit).  Then nothing happens and it's forgotten until the next alert.  

What good is all this to the average American citizen?  
Not a lot, say Dali Llama... :(  :(  :(
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 11:20:31 AM »
No matter what you do,to defend yourself,you will end up in jail,this I know.And if is labeld as a hate crime "white on black""white on towell head"you will do more time!This I know,$50,000 worth,and five years probation of.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 12:22:06 PM »
Quote from: Red Neck64
No matter what you do,to defend yourself,you will end up in jail,this I know.And if is labeld as a hate crime "white on black""white on towell head"you will do more time!This I know,$50,000 worth,and five years probation of.
Dali Llama say it sound like Red Neck64 speak from personal experience?

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 12:55:17 PM »
You could also end up in jail for defending yourself against an everyday break-in against your run-of-the-mill street thug, so that's nothing new.  But that website isn't about self-defense in that kind of situation.  I think it's geared more towards if/when the stuff really hits the fan and the terrorists we've all seen on the videos really manage to infiltrate the U.S. and start carry out the destruction they train for and vow to carry out.  Wide-scale homeland defense, not just defense against a burglar in your home.  Sort of like a poor man's guide to preparing to deal with it, just in case, since the government obviously can't do anything to help your average Joe if that should ever happen.  More like a doomsday scenario I guess.  May not sound likely, but what if?  The terrorists don't need weapons of mass destruction to do it, just firearms and home-made bombs, which they have no problem acquiring.  We all know how fanatical terrorists are, and there's probably a greater chance of something like that happening than the Russians wiping us out with nuclear weapons, like we feared for decades.  They have vowed to do these things, and if they really did...?

I'll quote that letter from the website about terrorist's intentions, in case you didn't see it:

Posted: September 4, 2002
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Joseph Farah
Copyright 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

An al-Qaida training videotape, captured in Afghanistan, shows Osama bin Laden's terrorists are not only planning attacks with weapons of mass destruction but are preparing to kill Americans with drive by shootings and home break-ins, through ambushes of law-enforcement officers and targeted assassinations on golf courses, WorldNetDaily has learned.

The videotape was produced, U.S. analysis believe, for al-Qaida's internal use and did not appear to be an external propaganda device.

U.S. intelligence considers the tape much more significant in what it reveals about al-Qaida's modus operandi than the highly publicized video purchased and broadcast last month by CNN. U.S. forces found a cache of 64 al-Qaida tapes while combing caves and hideouts in Afghanistan. Analysists were surprised by some of what they saw in the latest video and believe they employ terrorist tactics and techniques meant for export to America and other nations.

"None of these training scenarios depicts the type of fighting that al-Qaida engages in within Afghanistan," noted John Holschen of Insights Training Center, who produced a report on the tape for military and law enforcement officials.

The training video shows al-Qaida operatives practicing the following kinds of assaults:

*Using pickup trucks with shooters concealed in the bed of the trucks;
*using motorcycles as a shooting platform for drive-bys and assassinations;
*execution of prisoners;
*ambushes of law-enforcement officers;
*residential assassinations;
*assassination on a golf course using a RPG and rifle fire;
*drive-up kidnapping of target walking on a street;
*use of tunnels, storm drains and sewers for infiltration during urban raids;
*rapelling from rooftops of buildings to make entry on upper floors;
*use of motorcycles for grenade attacks; and
*raids on building with large numbers of occupants-perhaps schools or office buildings.

Analysists point out that all scenarios involving prisoners and hostages ended in execution. None included plans for negotiated settlements for escape by terrorists.

"They plan to kill the prisoners and die in place" wrote Holschen.

The "perfect day" as seen by al-Qaida would combine attacks designed to produce a maximum number of casualties with attacks that would give them the opportunity to get "face time" on the news channels to deliver their rhetoric, explained Holschen.

"The major take-home lesson here is that although the enemy is known to be seeking the ability and opportunity to use weapons of mass destruction and of an unconventional nature, such as hijacked airliners, they are also spending a lot of time training to carry out attacks the old-fashioned way - attacks executed by small groups of dedicated personnel equipped with little more than small arms," explained Holschen.

Hostages, prisoners and anyone else identified as a target or problem by al-Qaida terrorist opertives will be killed, say those who viewed the tape. There is no point in complying with orders, they say. Those who do not resist ultimately will be rewarded with ritual execution in front of television cameras, according to the tactics and techniques captured on this video.

In one scenario on the video, terrorists pretend to be stranded on a six-lane highway, their vehicle disabled. When a police officer stops to assist, the driver blows his horn. Another occupant of the vehicle opens fire on the police officer with a rifle. In other scenarios, shooters were concealed in the trunk of the car. When the terrorists were picked up by accomplices  in a getaway car, the original vehicle was blown up, apparently to destroy evidence.

In another scenario, an inocuous-looking terrorist knocks on the door of a residence, standing in view of the resident and answering questions through a closed door. When the resident opens the door, the terrorist immediately draws his weapon and fires, emptying his weapon into the victim.

In the golf course assassination, the target was on the green, near the hole. A RPG is fired at a vehicle adfacent to the green, perhaps a security detail. Then the target of the assassination is killed with rifle fire.

When asked if these techniques are intended for use in the U.S., one military intelligence operative said without hesitation, "yes".

Sounds to me like they know exactly what they're doing.  The possibilities are thought-provoking...

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 02:04:39 PM »
I have no doubt in my mind there are Al-Qaida operatives in this country as we speak just waiting for the right time or a signal.The question is who, what, where, how, and when. The police and military can't be everywhere so that means it's up to us as citizens to be vigilant and ready to act. This is one reason every state needs to put in place a concealed carry law. I won't say anymore because I don't want this post to be misconstrued as political or antagonistic, just my opinion. Be ready-Be vigilant. :gun4:
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 02:19:41 PM »
Quote from: Nightrain52
I don't want this post to be misconstrued as political or antagonistic, just my opinion.

Sounds good.  Your opinion is all I'm asking for.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »
Latest in the news, as of today (2/24/04):

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (Feb. 24) - Two audiotapes purportedly of Osama bin Laden's top lieutenant were broadcast on Arabic TV stations Tuesday, one taunting President Bush and threatening more attacks on the United States, the other criticizing France's decision to ban Islamic headscarves in schools.

The tapes, attributed to Ayman al-Zawahri, came as Pakistani forces backed by helicopters searched villages in a remote region between Pakistan and Afghanistan where bin Laden and Taliban suspects are believed hiding. Al-Zawahri, an Egyptian-born physician, is thought to be with bin Laden in the rugged mountains.

In the past, U.S. intelligence officials have noted that some tape releases have been preludes to attacks. On an April 7 tape, a speaker believed to be bin Laden exhorted Muslims to rise up against Saudi Arabia and foreshadowed suicide attacks against U.S. and British interests. Suicide bombers struck Western housing compounds in the Saudi capital of Riyadh on May 12.

The latest audiotapes aired a few hours apart on Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera networks, competing Arabic TV stations based in the Persian Gulf.

Officials at both stations said they broadcast only newsworthy excerpts and that their full recordings were different. Both stations said they received the material Tuesday. Events mentioned in the tapes indicate only that the recordings were made no earlier than last month.

Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera said they were confident the voice was al-Zawahri's, with Al-Arabiya also saying its confidence in the authenticity stemmed from the source of the tape, which officials would not identify. The voice on both tapes sounded identical, with the tone and rhetoric similar to previous videotapes as well as audiotapes believed to be from al-Zawahri.

''There are rumors these days that the arrest of Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahri is nearing; (these tapes) are a response to that,'' said Mohammed Salah, an expert on radical Islamic groups and the Cairo bureau chief of the pan-Arab daily newspaper Al-Hayat.

Dia'a Rashwan, an expert on radical Islam for Egypt's Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies, said issuing both tapes almost simultaneously ''requires logistical ability ... and also a central decision.''

''This is not insignificant organizational capabilities,'' Rashwan added. ''They seem to signal that (Zawahri) is still connected.''

In Al-Jazeera's tape, the voice believed to be al-Zawahri challenges Bush's claim to have liberated Iraq and indicates al-Qaida - the group blamed for the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States - is still running operations from Afghanistan.

''We remind Bush that the situation is not stable in Afghanistan, or else how do we wage, with God's support and might, our attacks on your troops and agents?'' the tape said.

''We remind Bush that he didn't destroy two-thirds of al-Qaida. On the contrary, thanks be to God, al-Qaida is still in the holy war battleground raising the banner of Islam.''

In his State of the Union address in January, Bush said ''nearly two-thirds'' of al-Qaida's known leaders were captured or killed.

''Bush, fortify your targets, tighten your defense, intensify your security measures,'' the tape recording warned, ''because the fighting Islamic community - which sent you New York and Washington battalions - has decided to send you one battalion after the other, carrying death and seeking heaven.''

The audiotape aired by Dubai-based al-Arabiya criticized France's decision to ban religious symbols in public buildings, including headscarves worn by Muslim women. The law is expected to go before the French Senate early next month.

''The decision of the French president to issue a law to prevent Muslim girls from covering their heads in schools is another example of the Crusader's malice, which Westerners have against Muslims,'' the recording said.

02-24-04 1902EST

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 02:33:48 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

Yes OH wise one I Do!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 03:45:47 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

Yes OH wise one I Do!
Dali Llama say it sad to hear that, as Dali believe there should be no distinction for so-called "hate" crimes. :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :x