Author Topic: Burris or Leupold ?s  (Read 808 times)

Offline Libraryhound

• Trade Count: (2)
Burris or Leupold ?s
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
I have a Savage hog hunter 223 and need a scope for it. I don't know any thing about scopes so I went to the gun shop and they have mainly have Leupold, Redfield and Burris. I liked the Burris full field 3x9x40m as being the clearest but they had a Leupold Century Edition 3x9x40m for the same price. The shop owner said the Leupold is a better deal but its been there 4 or 5 years. both are new, in the long run is ether better?
Thanks
Libraryhunter
H&R carbine classic frame with topper deluxe 20ga barrel & 444marlin barrel(pending), Ruger no.3 in 444marlin(pending), Ruger Mark III standard 6", Ruger Super Blackhawk ss. 44mag Talo 3.75", Savage hog hunter 223 rem, Glock 21sf,

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Burris or Leupold ?s
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
out of the three id take the leupold but even then it depends on the model. A burris fullfield or redfield has as good of optics as a vx1 but if the leupold is a vx2 or better its going to be the better scope. Ive had to many mechanical issues with burris scopes to recomend them. I still have a couple but dont buy them anymore. As to redfield i had two and neigher tracked properly when using the windage and eleveation knobs. both were returned to redfield (leupold) and both came back still not working well. I sold both and wouldnt have another because id never trust it to hold zero. Id personaly buy another fullfield before id buy a redfield. Another option for a scope in that price range is a nikon prostaff. There not quite up to the redfield and burris opticaly but mechnaicaly there as good as anything. If low light performance isnt your top consern you might want to look at them.
blue lives matter

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »
I think I would take the Leupold. Is there a reason you are only looking at the 3-9 magnification range of scopes?

Offline Libraryhound

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »
I was looking at the 3X9x40m because the shop only carried 3x9x40m, 3x9x50m, reddot sights and shotgun scopes. I don't know jack about scopes. but I was not interested in a reddot. Any pointers would be great.
Thanks
Libraryhound

H&R carbine classic frame with topper deluxe 20ga barrel & 444marlin barrel(pending), Ruger no.3 in 444marlin(pending), Ruger Mark III standard 6", Ruger Super Blackhawk ss. 44mag Talo 3.75", Savage hog hunter 223 rem, Glock 21sf,

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:33:09 AM »
You already know jack about scopes - Leupold!

Offline Libraryhound

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am getting the Leupold. It seams to be the better deal. My concern was Leupold Century Edition a bad batch? It set on the shelf form around 2007 till now, why? well I have not found a bad review about that model so it must have just been over looked and now discounted to make room for new stock. The Burris was clearer but seam not the right choice for my rifle.
[/size]Thanks
[/size]Libraryhound

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
Yep, Leupold!

Looking for a new scope myself, as we speak, and it will be a Leupold.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
The Burris is now made overseas. No thanks........
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
I've had bad problems with Burris. They sold me the wrong parts then refused to refund my money only store credit. That's BS Their customer service stinks. Leupold is made in the USA and has a life time garentee. You made a wise choice.