Author Topic: Custom built Handi  (Read 1282 times)

Offline cpg113

• Trade Count: (0)
Custom built Handi
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:26:36 AM »
Has anyone built a Handi from the ground up? If so are there options as to where I can buy a receiver? Thanks for any input.
Chad

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Custom built Handi
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:58 AM »
The only source for new frames and barrels is with a complete firearm or just buy second hand complete or parts, look in the H&R Classifieds here on GBO, H&R doesn't sell frames or barrels separately like TC, no one does, H&R wil fit a new barrel to your frame tho if it qualifies, see their accessory barrel page.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:54:18 AM »
I have.  I started with a frame I bought on the classifieds here and then bought a stock set from another forum member Oldsoldja.  I then sent the stock and frame to H&R so Brian56 could fit a 7.62x39 barrel.  Like Tim said you have to do your homework and make sure the frame you buy is eligible for factory fitting if you go that route.  Otherwise you need to study up and make sure you are comfortable with the barrel fitting process in the FAQ stickys at the top of the page.

Another consideration to be made is if the caliber you want is factory chambered and how available it is.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:02 AM »
One of the nicest truly custom Handis is Doug's .375JDJ, custom stock and barrel, all built by Doug.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,216495.msg1099170996.html#msg1099170996

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:39 AM »
Not so much custom built as hand assembled.

45LC barrel reamed to 454 Casull fitted to SB2 receiver. Mannlicher style walnut stock semi-finished from Gunstocks inletted, fit and finished by me. Checkering and H&R brass insert 1871 work done by CCG gunstocks.

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:16:39 AM »
Here's more by Fred, custom octagon barrels in 257 Roberts and 6x47 with nicely modified laminated stocks.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,48208.0.html

Offline cpg113

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:17:27 AM »
Thanks for the info. I want one in 7mm-08. Maybe I will keep my eye open and just put a new stock/forend on it.
Chad

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »
 8) Those are some beautiful rigs! 8)

:-[ Just to clarify, I was by no means trying to imply that I was a custom gun maker! :-[

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »
That stock set up just screams for a metric caliber like 7x57mm Mauser or 6.5x57R.  :)

45LC barrel reamed to 454 Casull fitted to SB2 receiver. Mannlicher style walnut stock semi-finished from Gunstocks inletted, fit and finished by me. Checkering and H&R brass insert 1871 work done by CCG gunstocks.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »
I'm not sure what makes a Handi rifle a "custom" rifle in your estimation... If you mean, assembling a stock, receiver, barrel, mounts, sights/scope, barrel work (turning/cutting/brakes) possibly rechambering... Then I guess all of mine are custom... If Custom is as Tim suggests; a stock made from a kiln dried blank, a machined receiver, and a barrel bored and reamed from solid barrel stock... Then I don't believe there are too many of those... I've never seen one... Fred's would be the closest... Lacking only a custom milled receiver... I'm working on one now with a slim Walnut Mannlicher in 7mm-08... With a shorty barrel and light, sleek scope... I dunno, is that custom to you?
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
Ohhhhh........a lotta want just ran down my leg!
You could probably troll that one across a gunshow and have a mess of Handiholics follow up........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
That stock set up just screams for a metric caliber like 7x57mm Mauser or 6.5x57R.  :)

I agree. My next act is making a Mannlicher stock for my M94 Swedish sporter. A few months ago I picked up this sporterized Persian Mauser (8x57) that also looks pretty good IMHO:

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]